PDA

View Full Version : steel liner specs

markey b
08-11-2012, 09:39
i'm getting some steel liners made from EN16T, just a few questions...

do they need any specific treatment, like stress relieving or hardening to work?

James5
08-11-2012, 09:42
i'm getting some steel liners made from EN16T, just a few questions...

do they need any specific treatment, like stress relieving or hardening to work?

Get some hardend pistons rings aswell:agree: i used total seal's back in the day with my old MSM lump steel liners

markey b
08-11-2012, 10:54
is it literally a case of copying some OE liners, then getting them honed?

James5
08-11-2012, 11:07
is it literally a case of copying some OE liners, then getting them honed?

I found out mine were just the K-Tec liners and I believe they were uncoated, so yes you would just need OE copied. Why you wanting steel liner?? Is this because you keep cracking them :laugh: if your state of tune is crap you will still ruin them:laugh:

Mark I think your better of spending the money on mappable ignition then you can fine tune it and just retard it when it starts detting this should stop you cracking liner's. Have a word with Logg on here he ran mappable ignition for sometime and he has quite a heavy right foot:agree:

I even think in the file section scoff uploaded a std gtt igntion map so it would just need tweeking for he level of power you are running

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Scoff/gtt-map.jpg

Logg
08-11-2012, 11:29
I even think in the file section scoff uploaded a std gtt igntion map so it would just need tweeking for he level of power you are running

Pretty much what I did until I got myself to a expert for a more aggressive map.

If your doing liners so easly going steel will just make more of a mess when I blows up again.

markey b
08-11-2012, 12:12
i've got a nodiz on order so that will sort the ignition, also carb rebuild and that should sort the issue rather than doing a liner change with every oil change :laugh:

markey b
08-11-2012, 12:23
i take it then, just get them machined, honed and thats it? no heat treatments or anything required?

Logg
08-11-2012, 12:33
Just googled nodiz looks like a cool :smokin: bit of kit especialy the Bluetooth feature. Just make sure there map sensor is 3bar one. :)

markey b
08-11-2012, 12:37
Just googled nodiz looks like a cool :smokin: bit of kit especialy the Bluetooth feature. Just make sure there map sensor is 3bar one. :)

3bar at least :laugh:

markey b
08-11-2012, 15:40
is EN16T suitable? local engine builders said could be too hard?

Ashy
08-11-2012, 22:48
I'm pretty sure steel liners are manufactured from EN24T mate, although i'm not 100%... However mechanically there's not much between EN16 and EN24 in the T condition.

I don't know what the tolerance is on the bores but I would ask the machine shop how they plan to machine them, my advice would be:
Rough machine them leaving an allowance all over.
Stress Relieve.
Finish turn the OD.
Machine the flats.
Finish the bore as a last operation.
Hone.

markey b
09-11-2012, 12:22
perfect! cheers ashy :agree:

Sparkie
09-11-2012, 12:48
i remember EP motorsports used to get their liners made from EN24...not sure about the T bit though.

markey b
09-11-2012, 13:20
perfect :agree: