PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripping

AidenJ
07-11-2012, 11:17
I am currently in the process of re-spraying my 5. I have stripped it all the way down so that it's just a bare shell now. I have a paint sprayer that will spray it as a foreigner (evenings and weekends) but I have to strip the paitn myself. he recommended nitromors but tbh I have no idea what I'm doing with it. I get that I apply it and then let it do its thing but can I then jetwash it off or have I got to scrape it all off?

All help would be great. Thanks!

Bigfoot
07-11-2012, 11:44
Problem with nitromors I have found is that it needs a lot of cleaning off afterwards else the paint will not stick properly to the metal. Why do you want to strip it all down to metal anyway? Why not just use wet and dry and flat it all down using a course one first? Spraying a car is easy, its the prep work which makes a car look good, so a lot of time will need to be spent sorting that out first.

Haz
07-11-2012, 12:19
Don't use stripper! Bare metal a car then jetwashing is not a good idea either! As mentioned its a struggle to get rid of it all which will cause reactions, not to mention removing any filler which will add to prep time and it will melt any plastic it touches.
Tbh, prepping a car to save some funds without any experience generally ends up making extra work for the painter and I find most people use to fine a sandpaper to start with which doesn't shape any filler properly. My advice is usually to just spend all that time earning extra cash doing what you can do and pay the bodyshop to do it as will be quicker and a better, longer lasting paintjob.

AidenJ
07-11-2012, 21:04
I'm only going by what my sprayer told me. I'll get in touch with him again and go from there. It was him that suggested going back to bare metal as the previous owners spray job was done badly (not keyed and sprayed without prepping so it flaked off).

R5_Danny
07-11-2012, 21:30
He's a painter and told you to use nitromorse. If you use it it will eat into the metal and corse you all sorts of problems sand it all down with 320-400 grit paper then prime it all and sand with 800grit paper if you have any filler repairs make sure the filler is on Bare metal though and feathered in nice to the paint edge if you fill ontop of the paint you will never get it to feather in nice. ;) ;)

AidenJ
08-11-2012, 08:38
Cheers for all the advice, I'll get the sandpaper out this weekend then! Atm I'm not aware of any filler repairs, let's hope it stays that way!