PDA

View Full Version : Ko3 upgrade

westytce
03-11-2012, 14:49
Ok guys I've made good figures with a ko3 on my Clio 1.2tce, 163 bhp 170 lbs/ft,

it comes on boost at 3k at 1.25 bar and holds1 bar.... Lag isn't too much of an issue to be honest, it's the map, as it can go into limp mode if you are heavy footed at low revs (below 2k) in a high gear.

I'm sure this will be sorted out with more time on the map,and more files being found and altered, ktec couldn't find all the files in one day that control many things from holding the boost etc, so it does need more mapping time. But... That aside....

Is there a turbo that does spool up quicker than this ko3, my original choice of turbo was a gt1544v, but was told this wasn't a good choice and wouldn't fit in the space I had available. So they popped on the ko3 as they thought this was a better option. Since then I've learnt the gt1544v wasn't the best choice as can pop when runs hot and apparently people used to put them on the 5 and they didnt last too long....

In a perfect world I would like more boost at lower rpm.... Any ideas.... :scratch:

Dave Reed
03-11-2012, 15:03
Is the KO3 of the Vag engines?

How about a roller bearing core? I'm not up on all these turbo numbers, but I would of thought with the low cc's you'd want something like a T2/25?? I'm sure onw of the turbo guru's on here will correct me somewhat :)

westytce
03-11-2012, 15:11
I thought t25 originally or a hybrid version.... but some said it would be to laggy.... I wasn't convinced to be honest as plenty of 5 engines run them and they are push rod older style engine I thought with my modern multiple valve engine it wouldve been ok... but I now have the manifold flange to take vag ko3 so it is what it is... I would like to keep that flange fitment

I have the gt1544v and the o/e mitzi turbo that came on the car, using these as trade in against a new unit should be helpful I guess.... :scratch:

philr5t
03-11-2012, 18:34
Put a vnt turbo on it mate will make the power hardly any lag and the advantage you have is an ecu so should be quite easy to tune/map and you may even be able to run an electronic actuator on it

westytce
03-11-2012, 19:17
Put a vnt turbo on it mate will make the power hardly any lag and the advantage you have is an ecu so should be quite easy to tune/map and you may even be able to run an electronic actuator on it

Now while I was browsing turbo technics turbos for sale I saw these vnt letters....

Any idea on price, size or spec of these magical angry snails....