PDA

View Full Version : Basic Pointers - Low Mileage 5

Jonny Hogan
30-10-2012, 13:37
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi guys, i only just joined the club at the weekend so appols for still not havign updated my profile; spending some time with the car this week and will do so.

In the interim, it's been a good few years since 5 ownership and so i have some real basic q s i hope you can assist with (i've had 2 x 5s before so not a total dullard - but partial as it's been over 10 years):

Firstly, the car is the super low miler from 4 Star Classics:

1) Fueling wise, obviously there's no 4 star anymore, is the consensu LRP or unleaded with additive ... presumably in either event the carb needs to be tuned (currently mines pinking until warm).

2) The fibre hose that runs from the airbox back to the turbo ... whats the best replacement for this, mine has shrunk and fits poorly.

3) Where can i get soem decent car matts from.

4) Does anyone know what speakers fit perfectly flush as a direct replacement for those standard items ... not cutting the door cards

5) Any other basic advice woudl be much appreciated

6) Finally, i'll be bringing the car accross the pond to the UK to have a full once over soon ... can someone recommend a good garage ... are GTT / K-Tech still regarded as best ?

Appreciate not all will agree with each other here. All advice however will be greatfully received. Look forward to hooking up with you all at a meet next summer.

Jon

Penfold aka The Dealer
30-10-2012, 13:46

Hi guys, i only just joined the club at the weekend so appols for still not havign updated my profile; spending some time with the car this week and will do so.

In the interim, it's been a good few years since 5 ownership and so i have some real basic q s i hope you can assist with (i've had 2 x 5s before so not a total dullard - but partial as it's been over 10 years):

Firstly, the car is the super low miler from 4 Star Classics:

1) Fueling wise, obviously there's no 4 star anymore, is the consensu LRP or unleaded with additive ... presumably in either event the carb needs to be tuned (currently mines pinking until warm).

2) The fibre hose that runs from the airbox back to the turbo ... whats the best replacement for this, mine has shrunk and fits poorly.

3) Where can i get soem decent car matts from.

4) Does anyone know what speakers fit perfectly flush as a direct replacement for those standard items ... not cutting the door cards

5) Any other basic advice woudl be much appreciated

6) Finally, i'll be bringing the car accross the pond to the UK to have a full once over soon ... can someone recommend a good garage ... are GTT / K-Tech still regarded as best ?

Appreciate not all will agree with each other here. All advice however will be greatfully received. Look forward to hooking up with you all at a meet next summer.

Jon

6) avoid k-tec/gtt tuning haha, plenty of members on here who can help.... Likes of markey mark, matt@codered, sparkie, scoff and many many more depending on where your based in the uk.

3) speak to mike at gtturbospares
2 as above
1) super unleaded is fine, you can get your carb set up by members of here (fishead, scoff, etc etc )

Welcome to the club

Mart
30-10-2012, 13:58
1) 95ron unleaded is fine upto mediocre levels of boost. Higher than that, and 97/98/99 super unleaded should be used.
2) Isn't really required, as it only adds hot air back into the system. Not a wise thing, when you're trying to keep the charge as cool as possible.
3) Mike @ GT Turbo Spares, or they crop up on Ebay sometimes.
5) Ask away (or 'search') on here - THE best resource for GTT ownership.
6) GTT & K-tec have never been regarded as the best :D It's a relatively easy car to work on - A good set of tools, Haynes manual, and advice off here is all you need.

Jonny Hogan
30-10-2012, 14:11

many thanks all for speedy and help ful responses.

Re the pipe, do i need to "blank off" in some way the feed from the air box or back into the turbo ?

Mart
30-10-2012, 14:17
You can fix the flap in the air-box so that the cold feed is permanent. Alternatively, some people do away with the flap/thermostatic gubbins & run an additional flexi pipe off the 'hot side' of the air-box to somewhere at the front of the engine bay/car, to aid more cooler air being fed into the airbox.

There's also the option of doing away with the airbox altogether & running a bolt-on induction filter.

fishead
30-10-2012, 17:30
which car is it, black one or grey one ?

Sparkie
30-10-2012, 20:29
4) i think 13cm speakers fit.- just remove the grill and measure them :)