PDA

View Full Version : turbo filter

chris
28-10-2012, 20:05
I have been reading alot of posts recently about people with freshly built engines and then turbos going because of suspected swarf in oil where can you get an inline filter from for turbo as i dont want the same to happen to me

car.crash
28-10-2012, 20:17
I had one, the swarf from the new engine blocked the filter and killed the turbo.

GTphil
28-10-2012, 20:35
Then you should have cleaned it out more often;):laugh:

car.crash
28-10-2012, 20:38

Wow, if only you was around a few months ago.

chris
28-10-2012, 20:45
where did you get it from car crash that was unlucky must of been alot of swarf

casper
28-10-2012, 21:16
I have been reading alot of posts recently about people with freshly built engines and then turbos going because of suspected swarf in oil where can you get an inline filter from for turbo as i dont want the same to happen to me

Think demon tweaks used to do them.

Nottswoody
28-10-2012, 21:21
Think demon tweaks used to do them.

:agree:

Wallace
28-10-2012, 21:27
Copied and pasted from my project thread - all i would say is, get the hose over sized so it doesnt kink

Simplez! Speak to Ben @ Hose Solutions, send him you braided hose, he'll then cut it into 2 and send it back with the filter in place - I paid £30 (incl delivery!) - I know some guys haven't been that impressed, or say the hose is too long, but from my experience, the hose has been done well! although maybe slightly too long, i can't see it being a problem!!

Hope that helps mate:agree:

Wallace
28-10-2012, 21:30
http://www.hosesolutions.org.uk/

chris
28-10-2012, 21:51
Thats brilliant walace thanks for your help:agree:

Wallace
28-10-2012, 21:58
:agree:

As has been mentioned though, keep an eye on it if the engines being run in, i've done barely 200miles and cleaned it out twice.........theres not been loads, but still some there!

Kris M
28-10-2012, 22:18
think auto :agree:

GTphil
28-10-2012, 23:28
Wow, if only you was around a few months ago.

On a seriouse note, he has a point, make sure you give it a clean out every few hundred miles or so once it's all fitted and up and running.

GTphil
28-10-2012, 23:36
Those hose solution pre-filters are useless, the gauze inside is way to large, it will stop large bits of metal but swarfe will easly get through, I'm talking about the large blue cylindrical filter, unless they have changed since I purchased mine.

As mentioned think auto, of if your feeling flush demon tweaks for a bailys pre-filter then take it to any hydraulics place (pirtek and the like) and they will fit it into your oil feed pipe for a small charge.

chris
29-10-2012, 10:44
Thanks for all the comments guys i am guna order a decent one today thanks again chris

Scoff
29-10-2012, 11:38

Yes exactly. The pre-filter is about the best thing you can add to a fresh engine if you want to keep the turbo in one piece. It does require you check it regular for junk, obviously.

chris
29-10-2012, 19:21
Orderd the baily filter from demon tweeks today it was 30 quid but cheaper than a turbo i suppose

Flight666
29-10-2012, 19:44
Spotted this earlier on don`t know if its what your`e looking for 160911607337

chris
29-10-2012, 20:28
Cheers buddy but i have orderd one off demon tweeks cos its got a really fine gauze

Scoff
29-10-2012, 21:30
As phil says it's the 25 micron bailey you want, the others I think are really fuel filters, and not very fine ones at that.

gttjames
29-10-2012, 21:37
Yes exactly. The pre-filter is about the best thing you can add to a fresh engine if you want to keep the turbo in one piece. It does require you check it regular for junk, obviously.

god i wish this thread was around a month ago lol would of saved me 500 possibly

chris
30-10-2012, 10:49
To be honest james its only because i have seen unlucky people like you that made me think of getting one and yes scoff the one i got comeing is the baily one

gttjames
30-10-2012, 22:53
To be honest james its only because i have seen unlucky people like you that made me think of getting one and yes scoff the one i got comeing is the baily one

yer i know, well il be getting a filter aswell and probably checking it every 50miles lol

chris
31-10-2012, 06:58
I know mate turbos are so exspensive aswell have u decided what turbo your guna go for

gttjames
31-10-2012, 13:57
No not yet. got all christmas to make up my mind. Cant decide weather to just replace it for what it is, t25/t2 - or go full t25 - but dont want that much lag to be honest. Iv been told of the t28 with a t2 exhaust housing, sounds perfect, but dont think i can spend that much on a turbo

gardner51
31-10-2012, 14:21
Chris can you please link me to the filter you purchased. I'll be needing one soon!

Elliott

chris
31-10-2012, 18:35
I aint good on computers so dont know how to do links but if you ring demon tweeks and tell them what you want they are dead helpful sorry i cant be more help

jonnyshaw49
02-11-2013, 10:53
Hi I have just looked on demon tweeks for the bailey 25 micron filters heres the link:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/dump-valves-accessories-universal/bailey-motorsport-turbo-oil-filter-2

could someone tell me if these are the right ones as there now 42.00 and which one I would be best off getting as there are two fittings available. would any of these fittings go straight into the braided turbo hose? appreciate any help thanks

chris
02-11-2013, 13:32
The thing is your braided hose has to be cut in half and the the fittings swaged on to pipe and then the filter can go in I took my filter and pipe to a local hose place and just told them to put the filter inline

jonnyshaw49
02-11-2013, 16:16
yeh there is a local hydraulic place near me that should be able to put it into the hose. i am running a hybrid turbo so i have my original braided hose going onto two adapters that convert the braded hose so that it fits into my turbo. I just wondered if the ones demontweeks sell have the right fitting just to screw onto the braided hose between the turbo. I I am to get it put into the hose by the hydraulic firm am i better off buying the one with two male ends? is that the jic or bsp fitting?

Charlie
02-11-2013, 17:01
How does the swarf get through the engine oil filter:confused:

gtmatt
02-11-2013, 23:14
Got mine from Ben at hose soul top job ,top bloke

jonnyshaw49
03-11-2013, 10:57
I thought the gauze wasnt fine enough in the hose solutions filter? Doesnt it have to be 25 micron like the baileys one?

gtmatt
03-11-2013, 11:00
Well the one Ben uses iS the mocal one which your get from think auto ,I rang think auto they didn't have a clue what I wanted , the pain iS the fitting for the t28 what a pain in the butt

jonnyshaw49
03-11-2013, 11:37
so does ben at hose solutions just order the part for you and you just send him your braided hose? how much did that cost?

TNT ANDY
03-11-2013, 12:12
Re the gauze, the one from Ben was nowhere near fine enough. I sourced very fine gauze from eBay and cutoutto fit over the top of the one in the body of the filter. Been running it for years no issues. The fitment from Ben is great also.

gttjames
03-11-2013, 17:13
Got mine from Ben at hose soul top job ,top bloke

I got one from him but he didn't take any out of the hose to allow for the extra length, only way it fitted...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/sr50james/DC93014F-DCFD-48BF-98EC-94AFE63C9B5F-4087-000001D563EABB0B_zps3efba347.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/sr50james/media/DC93014F-DCFD-48BF-98EC-94AFE63C9B5F-4087-000001D563EABB0B_zps3efba347.jpg.html)

GTphil
03-11-2013, 17:25
My feed was the same from hose solutions, zero flexibility, so much so it snapped the fitting into the turbo whilst I was warming the slicks at pod.

Luckily the guy on the line spotted it and gave me the signal to turn the engine off, I doubt the turbo would have enjoyed so much rpm with no oil:laugh:

And Jonny I think you want the one with two male fitting as it sounds like this is for putting in the feed pipe and the other is a direct fit for t3's ECT. The threads in the t25 cores are all different and I doubt the direct fit one would fit your core.

GTphil
03-11-2013, 17:32
How does the swarf get through the engine oil filter:confused:

When and engine comes apart particularly the bottom end, once it's all back together, as it all beds in you will naturally get some swarf in the oil, that's why on a fresh lump you should change the oil/filter more regularly to get rid of as much as you can, the issue is the bearings in turbos don't tolerate any swarf at all.

On an engine that's done plenty of miles the need for a pre turbo oil filter isn't as great. On a fresh lump in my eyes it's a must.

gttjames
09-11-2013, 11:03
My feed was the same from hose solutions, zero flexibility, so much so it snapped the fitting into the turbo whilst I was warming the slicks at pod.

Luckily the guy on the line spotted it and gave me the signal to turn the engine off, I doubt the turbo would have enjoyed so much rpm with no oil:laugh:

And Jonny I think you want the one with two male fitting as it sounds like this is for putting in the feed pipe and the other is a direct fit for t3's ECT. The threads in the t25 cores are all different and I doubt the direct fit one would fit your core.

as soon as I received it back from ben I emailed him but he stopped replying after he took my money

jonnyshaw49
20-11-2013, 07:11
hi guys i orderd a male fitting bailey filter from demon tweeks a week ago and paid express delivery. it still wasnt here a week later so i rang them and they said bailey are not making anymore units untill next feb! they said they can supply me a female one as they have some in stock. is it possible to convert the female version to fit the braided hose? Does anyone know where else i could get a filter as im struggling to find one now and there all about 100 quid the baileys ones are only 50. appreciate any help

JRP
20-11-2013, 09:04
Do you change the oil regular? Only thing that gets me about filters is they can block In an instant and cause oil starvation, I've seen it happen alot. But assuming you know the engine and sump does not have lots of junk floating around it will be ok, I know they are there for good reason; but it works two ways with these :(

chris
20-11-2013, 10:44
hi guys i orderd a male fitting bailey filter from demon tweeks a week ago and paid express delivery. it still wasnt here a week later so i rang them and they said bailey are not making anymore units untill next feb! they said they can supply me a female one as they have some in stock. is it possible to convert the female version to fit the braided hose? Does anyone know where else i could get a filter as im struggling to find one now and there all about 100 quid the baileys ones are only 50. appreciate any help

Female will be fine any good hose place should be able to source male to male fittings to go in. Ring demon tweeks and ask them what thread I suspect it is an npt thread then ring hose place and double check they can get them and all will be good and reamember to check the filter reguler to avoid it blocking you can blow them out with an airline