PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

Russgt5
14-12-2008, 21:05
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi all,i got my engine rebuilt 4 months ago but havnt managed to fully run it in yet (only about 600 miles at the moment so coolants new).I have the top coolant silicon hose kit (2 hoses with bleed nipples,1 is the top rad hose) but bought it after the engine was rebuilt and i asked BBPT when i picked the car up if it was a big job to swap the old hoses for the new ones and they said i should be able to do it "live" if im quick and wouldnt lose too much coolant....just make sure i top up the coolant and bleed it through.........Now im wondering,could i just buy some coolant from halfords etc to top it up (i dunno what coolant BBPT used,would 2 "brands" not mix well and cause damage?) or would i have to drain the coolant system down completely and then fill it with 1 particular brand of coolant.I'll ring BB but i think there closed for crimbo now.
Any answers would be appreciated,i looked in the wizzard section but couldn't find anything.
Regards Russ.

raj
14-12-2008, 22:17
for such an easy and cheap job id personally drop all the coolant and fill up with fresh new stuff.

i use the halfords pink stuff.

i suppose if you find out what bb use you could simply buy some of that to top it up.

scratcher
14-12-2008, 22:27
I use Halfords pink stuff too, I'm pretty sure the bottle says it can be used with other coolants.

Schakal
14-12-2008, 22:29
bbpt or what ever it is told you ****e imo .
just drain the system into a clean container and do the job properly .

pink stuff is the best imo ,it turns into a very visible white powder if it leaks
from the system making it much easier to find/fix water leaks :agree:

dangerous dave
14-12-2008, 23:47
careful with all these pretty coloured fluids, i was topping mine up and just picked up the blue stuff out my garage (i was using blue coolant at the time) it turns out screenwash can get very bubbly:scared:

i now use the pink one.... im sure while showing all the children that take their sh1tt3rs in halfords what a propper hothatch looks like, i spotted pink screenwash.. its only a matter of time:crap:

raj
15-12-2008, 00:53
careful with all these pretty coloured fluids, i was topping mine up and just picked up the blue stuff out my garage (i was using blue coolant at the time) it turns out screenwash can get very bubbly:scared:

i now use the pink one.... im sure while showing all the children that take their sh1tt3rs in halfords what a propper hothatch looks like, i spotted pink screenwash.. its only a matter of time:crap:

your not wrong about bubbly screen wash:mad: everytime i use my wipers or headlamp washers on my merc my bonnet gets covered in foam:scared: i can hear folks thinking "has he forgot to rinse his bonnet after washing the car":sad2:

and your not wrong with the pink screen wash either:D

Russgt5
15-12-2008, 17:58

Thx guys for the info/help.......Halfords "pink stuff" it is then! (i spoke with BBPT today and they used the same coolant renault uses in thier factory aparently but they also said that any coolant as long as it is premixed and not neat will mix fine with the coolant already in the engine.
Not taking any chances tho,spent too much,gonna drain the lot n start with fresh "pink stuff from Halfords",thx lads!
:agree::cool:

Mart
15-12-2008, 18:02
Seems a waste of money & your time to me. Why not simply buy the coolant mix' from Renault, and just top up what's already in situ? :confused:

Russgt5
16-12-2008, 18:23

I assumed the Renault coolant would cost loads more than the halfords stuff but ive just been down my renault dealers this evening and was pleasantly suprised so yeah i ended up getting the renault mix which i can now just top up after replacing my rad top hose. (good job i rang BB tho coz they reminded me i have to swap over the thermostat from old hose into new 1 before fitting,which i had forgotten about ).