PDA

View Full Version : Odd dial behaviour

Chunk
14-10-2012, 23:37
I bought some new dials which had been sat in someones garage for 7 years. I fitted them to my GTT but had loads of weird issues, when you turned the ignition on the fuel gauge went nuts, rev gauge sat at 2000rpm when the engine wasn't running, oil level hit the top, etc

If I turned the lights on the gauges all went crazy again and one indicator light came on.

I spent the afternoon swapping all of the individual dial modules into my other clocks which did work, but they had lockwood backing on and the oil level was broken.

They are working much better now, but the fuel gauge seems to twitch quite a lot when the engine is running and the rev gauge blips up if you turn the lights on when the engine is off.

Seems like there might be a poor earth somewhere, or do you think the dial modules themselves are broken?

Tony Walker
14-10-2012, 23:59
my rpm counter is funny. when i first turn the ignition on the counter goes right round to 7krpm then back to 0 and thats it start it up and its fine...... quite a cool feature if i knew what the feck was going on lol. i havent got time to spend figuring it out unfortunately :confused:

Alex
15-10-2012, 07:29
Mine does that Tony. I reckon it's interference from the AFR wiring?

Chunk
15-10-2012, 09:15
Funny you should mention that, mine did that a couple of times until i swapped the modules over into my other dials.

As the 'new' dials had been left in a garage the terminals were a bit grubby and rusty

That's why I swapped the modules over so I could use the decent ribbon cable part from my existing clocks

Nick k
15-10-2012, 19:33
There are earth tags on the matrix on the back of the clocks that corrode up, its a common path that runs around and earths at several points, Lomo had a set of clocks that went mental like that and it was a earth terminal missing a nut after some lockwood that been fitted.

Tony Walker
15-10-2012, 19:38
:D id fix it..... but i kinda like it :P might fix it if it stops working. my blower fans can also effect it before i start the engine :agree:
Also everythings been working great for a few months oil level/pressure coolant lights speedo, then yesterday pressure/level coolant light gave up then the speedo did, next time i started it alls fine lol has been fine since. :wasntme:

Chunk
16-10-2012, 11:19
Hmm my existing dials worked fine, but they had rubbish lockwood red dial faces and the oil level/pressure dial was broken

I've just swapped the modules into my existing dials and now i have the problem, so i don't think it's the ribbon part on the back.

Wonder if the damp has damaged them somehow from being sat in a garage

Brigsy
16-10-2012, 14:29
The ribbon is probably knackered on the back of the dials. They were available new,i bought one for a few ££ a couple of years ago

Chunk
16-10-2012, 14:46
I used the ribbon from my existing good dials so i don't think it's that