PDA

View Full Version : R5 Blower Resistor / Rheostat

alka5eltzer
11-10-2012, 09:36
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hi All,

Starting to get cold now and my Blower isn't working on my 95 R5 Campus :sad2:
I've narrowed it down to the blower motor resistor / rheostat.
I can see it when I lift out the blower motor but I can't get access to it as there's a grill covering it?
I'm afraid to cut through the grill as I could mess up the stability of the motor.

Does anyone know how to get at it or bypass it?... the Haynes book doesn't mention it.

Do I need to take out the heater box?

phase i 16 v turbo
11-10-2012, 09:52
Matrix blockage?

THE MASTER
11-10-2012, 10:28
it's heater box out to propperly get to the the resistor unfurtunatly

but if you can find away of bypassing the thermistor(it's a heat temp fuse that blows when it gets to hot) thats built into it. that should get it working
;)

alka5eltzer
11-10-2012, 11:12

it's heater box out to propperly get to the the resistor unfurtunatly

but if you can find away of bypassing the thermistor(it's a heat temp fuse that blows when it gets to hot) thats built into it. that should get it working

;)

Ahhhhh :scared: lol... I was dreading removing the heater box... ah well... has to be done. Do you know if the Cooling system would need to be drained also, e.g. would I need to lift the whole box out or could I open it/split in the car to get at the resistor, without disconnecting the hoses going to the matrix?

If the Heat fuse has blown... can I just solder a link to bypass this?

Thanks for getting back to me :)

alka5eltzer
11-10-2012, 11:13

Matrix blockage?

The Matrix seems fine... its the fan that wont blow :(

Thanks for your help bud ;)

5 turbo
12-10-2012, 16:59
Pretty sure CGB still sell the little badboy resistor...

Done mine a few months back, dash out job but oooooooh yeah heater works a treat now :agree:

phase i 16 v turbo
12-10-2012, 17:41
They have nearly doubled in price in the last 2 months

alka5eltzer
13-10-2012, 09:07

Pretty sure CGB still sell the little badboy resistor...

Done mine a few months back, dash out job but oooooooh yeah heater works a treat now :agree:

Hi there 5 turbo... can you remember if you had to drain the cooling system to get it out? :scared:

alka5eltzer
13-10-2012, 09:08

They have nearly doubled in price in the last 2 months

Emailed CGB there yesterday for a price ;)

5 turbo
13-10-2012, 13:05

Hi there 5 turbo... can you remember if you had to drain the cooling system to get it out? :scared:

Yes mate sadly you do(well i did as i changed the matrix while i was there...)

But iirc you need to so as to remove the heater box, although you could try clamp the hoses at the bulk head to minimise coolant loss, then top up and re bleed ;)

alka5eltzer
22-10-2012, 14:21

Yes mate sadly you do(well i did as i changed the matrix while i was there...)

But iirc you need to so as to remove the heater box, although you could try clamp the hoses at the bulk head to minimise coolant loss, then top up and re bleed ;)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all you help on this.

Got a Rheostat from CGB for £20... I was all set on saturday.

I followed the Haynes Manual to the letter... but I couldn't get the Fascia out to get remove the heater box/? I could see all the bolts etc and I would have been able to get it out only the fascia was stopping me. .. Is there anything I'm missing.

Here's what I did:

Removed Instrument Panel & Visor
Removed all switches in Fascia (Rear Wipers, Hazards etc)
Pushed Heater controls in to Fascia
Removed Ashtray and Holder
Removed/Unhooked Lower Console (the part that holds the Radio)
Removed Fuse box and cover
Removed Lower Fascia covering Steering column
Removed Plastic trims Left and right of the Fascia (where it meets near to the doors)
Unclipped clips to the right of the facia beside drivers Door

I did all this and it still seemed pretty solid... am I missing anything? I followed everything in the haynes manual and according to it... it should just lift out as all screws etc have been removed.

Is this the type of procedure you followed?

Thanks so much for your help.

Haz
22-10-2012, 17:05
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind offering help where I can but aren't things like this covered in the technical section, for paid up members? If non members can get all the free advice and where to source things from on the general chat area then why would they join up at a cost? A bit unfair asking for help from others that pay to be on here?

Jonny5
22-10-2012, 17:09
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind offering help where I can but aren't things like this covered in the technical section, for paid up members? If non members can get all the free advice and where to source things from on the general chat area then why would they join up at a cost? A bit unfair asking for help from others that pay to be on here?

:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4719

Best pay your £25 alka5eltzer :D

LiamR
22-10-2012, 18:28

Totally agree. Get joining up mate. Yearly renewal is much cheaper too.

I know there is a comprehensive guide to dash removal on the website to as I read it the other week. :)

So stop being a tightarse and help our club survive and the club In return will help you. :agree:

alka5eltzer
23-10-2012, 12:15

Gent's ... you're totally 100% right... its not fair me free loading. To be honest I didn't realise as I found the thread on Google.

Thats me a fully paid up member :agree:

Here's hoping I don't annoy you guys too much in the future... and fingers crossed I can help someone with something myself :niceone:

chris
23-10-2012, 13:41
Fairplay to you mate and welcome abored

LiamR
23-10-2012, 13:45

Gent's ... you're totally 100% right... its not fair me free loading. To be honest I didn't realise as I found the thread on Google.

Thats me a fully paid up member :agree:

Here's hoping I don't annoy you guys too much in the future... and fingers crossed I can help someone with something myself :niceone:

Well done mate. Great response :)

Joining will most def be worth it.

Now go find the dash removal article lol.

Haz
23-10-2012, 19:25
welcome to the club, wasn't being funny but without paying members there wont be a club and afterall the majority of users its for buyin/selling or advice :)