PDA

View Full Version : Saturday champion! Speed season 2012

RussellT
08-10-2012, 11:12
Well my season ended with a class win on Saturday, albeit against a newcomer to the class but still I set a good time.

I turned down the boost looking forward to the season decider on the Sunday but on my last run she dropped a valve. Game Over.

As it happened I had just taken the lead in the Championship so Im the Saturday Champion!

With dropped scores and a much more competative field in the class for the Sunday I wasnt going to win but its nice to be close.

A BIG thanks to the AA for bringing me home. the first patrol guy had worked in a Renault dealer for 10 weeks back in 1988 and had always wanted a R5GT he even knew she is a phase 2.

Also I have to mention Ian Nixon who built the engine back in 2007. I have run her every day as a regular car, abused her as a competition car and only now has the engine cried enough.

Post Mortum findings will be posted here when available :D

Tony Walker
08-10-2012, 12:45
:) congrats on the win..... I think I only posted a few days ago about Renault 5s massive highs closely followed by a massive low :)

TNT ANDY
08-10-2012, 18:52
Nice one Russel - that's testament to a good engine.

RussellT
08-10-2012, 19:27
Andy she reved a lot better with the new trigger wheel fitted but she still had that rare cut out.

Anyway increased revs (she has a limiter) led to engine failure :cry:

Alex
08-10-2012, 21:13
Good stuff there Russell, well done. A shame about the engine but these things happen when you're pushing the limits. What do you rev it to out of interest?

Incidentally I've checked your sprint video out on YouTube and I'm going to start gathering the bits I need ;)

Trevhib
09-10-2012, 09:45
Fantastic Russell, well done. That engine has done a great stint. If it's only the valve, even better! :)

Btw, I know two brothers who say they know you. Keith and Paul from Burton way. One has been rebuilding his Metro forever, the other crashed his Fiesta at one of the meets a few years ago. Nice lads, if a bit wet :)

RussellT
09-10-2012, 10:16
I remember Paul really nasty crash in the rain at Trac Mon broke his neck on the roll cage. Huge relief to everyone that he came through OK but I havnt seen him competing since. Please pass on my best wishes.

Trevhib
09-10-2012, 14:59
Will do bud :agree:

RussellT
09-10-2012, 15:50
Looks like she just has a bent valve. Fluid was from the hose to the turbo jacket that broke when we were mauling with the rocker cover so that was about to let go too.

Plan at the moment is to look for the remaining half of the valve collet, replace valve, check bottom end, send turbo off for refurb. However there is NO PLAY in the turbo at all its remarkable.

TNT ANDY
09-10-2012, 18:42
Andy she reved a lot better with the new trigger wheel fitted but she still had that rare cut out.

Anyway increased revs (she has a limiter) led to engine failure :cry:

Great stuff on one hand but not on the other, I'm moving away from the trigger wheel on that side completely. I do have a standard Scenic flywheel which will suit your application if you're thinking of going that way. I'll report back once the engine is back in and running.

Take care fella

RussellT
12-10-2012, 11:21
The results are out and I came 4th overall.

If I had come 2nd on the Sunday I would have won the championship and that was definitlely on, but never mind.

Result of the post mortum was just one bent valve (the pit crew still have to check the bottom end)

So close especially considering I was up against cars with much better tyres (Yoko Advan Neova) and my brakes dont work and I had that electrical gremlin that cut the engine at the most inconvenient times.

R

TNT ANDY
12-10-2012, 17:54
The results are out and I came 4th overall.

If I had come 2nd on the Sunday I would have won the championship and that was definitlely on, but never mind.

Result of the post mortum was just one bent valve (the pit crew still have to check the bottom end)

So close especially considering I was up against cars with much better tyres (Yoko Advan Neova) and my brakes dont work and I had that electrical gremlin that cut the engine at the most inconvenient times.

R

Well done Russ - great to see this, keeping the 5 out there.:agree::agree::agree:

Massive respect to you.