PDA

View Full Version : uping the boost

Nialle
29-09-2012, 22:13
How do you turn the boost up? lol in idiots terms please ha

Woznaldo
29-09-2012, 22:53
If you're going to increase boost pressure, and therefore increase the volume of air, you will need to add fuel to keep the right Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR).

Have a good read through the 'articles' section and understand all about how to adjust the Carb first.

Also, a bit of friendly advice, if you are going to ask a tech question, you will always get a better response if you include as much info as possible, such as:

-why do want to turn up the boost? More power, the car feels under powered?
-what else do I need to consider when increasing the boost pressure?
-Is the rest of the car in good shape? Brakes, suspension etc?

Just turning up the boost without adjusting fuel to match will result in a very quick car.... .....for about 5 mins before the engine goes pop! This is probably the main reason the GTT got a poor rep for reliability.

Tony Walker
30-09-2012, 10:22
Do you know what pressure your running at the moment?

Nialle
30-09-2012, 15:34
Yeah mate its standard 9psi on gauge. and haha yeah i understand more air+more fuel otherwisr big bang ha, but yeah only reason i want to do it is more power the car is allready fairly quick but i want a bit more :) seen as winding the boost up is cheaper than the rebuild i:) want that will have to do for now haha

Os8472
30-09-2012, 15:40
If your at 9psi now in theory you can go to 14psi before you need to worry about rejecting the carb but you'll need to unplug the over boost sensor, unless you like head urging the windscreen that is lol

Trevhib
01-10-2012, 15:02
How do you turn the boost up? lol in idiots terms please ha

I was about to say look in the articles but I can't see one that deals with upping the boost. How is that possible. Lol.

So instead, use the search function with terms such as actuator rod adjustment and/or bleed valve.

You'll need to do one or the other.

J$£5GTT
01-10-2012, 22:31
id go on the hunt for hidden rust first....
:coffee:

Nialle
02-10-2012, 20:05
Shhh if its hidden it cant hurt ya haha :) and i got the car with o overboost sensor fitted all hoses are samco :). And yeah ill have to adjust the actuator as i have no bleed valve, was told they can be dangerous lol. whats a wideband people? been told i need one to set the fueling up after i turn the boost up, is it just a dash mounted AFR gauge? Would i need a bigger down pipe and elbow to get to 14 psi or would it be ok? dont like the thaught of the turbo stalling so if it needs it it needs it ha. cheers folks

Nialle
02-10-2012, 20:06
I did look for an article though as im sure that question has been popping up on here since the dawn of time haha

Nottswoody
02-10-2012, 20:08
I did look for an article though as im sure that question has been popping up on here since the dawn of time haha

Yes bud it's an AFR.. And for 14 psi nope you won't need one yet.. :)

GTphil
02-10-2012, 20:41
You will need a wideband before you turn the boost up;)

Also be carefull even at 14psi sometimes a standard worn carb will run lean at that boost.

Try

EFI parts for the AEM wideband guage and sensor.

Scoff of here gives a decent members discount

Nialle
02-10-2012, 21:44
Ahh oki phil ill try message him on ere how much they cost roughly? and i think my car is running richn now tbh as i seem to get like black greasy dots on my boot lid n rear bumper so thats unburnt fuel int itor could it be oil? haha

Nottswoody
02-10-2012, 21:48
Ahh oki phil ill try message him on ere how much they cost roughly? and i think my car is running richn now tbh as i seem to get like black greasy dots on my boot lid n rear bumper so thats unburnt fuel int itor could it be oil? haha

Mine was £150 posted great product and great advice and fast delivery!