PDA

View Full Version : carb advice

samcourtney86
26-09-2012, 20:35
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Im new to carbs so dont know to much about them, though want to/willing to learn. Ive bought a 5 gt turbo, which is standard, and now on standard boost, but i think it has a "group a" carb fitted. I think it over fuels, it stumbles on full boost and kind of holds back. - In its mot it failed on high emissions too.

I want a standard carb on there, which ill clean and rebuild.

-firstly can i "un-group a" my carb on there at the same time as rebuilding it? If so whats required?

-Secondly, if i fit a standard carb straight off a known running 5(which id clean/rebuild), would i have to then get the carb set up by someone properly?

-Thirdly, any other options?!

thanks!

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 20:44
you cant really change a group a carb if its had the venturi enlarged, that should be 25mm iirc.
If its been enlarged then stick it for sale on ebay someone daft will buy it.
A known working std carb will be fine to swap over, maybe a tiny bit of adjustment at idle and mixture for mot emissions but pretty easy to do. itf its been set up to run such and such boost then list the spec on here of whats been done and we'll tell you if its rubbish or not :D

samcourtney86
26-09-2012, 20:48

Hi, as far as i know, the previous owner took it to k-tec, think they upped the boost with a bleed valve and fitted a "group a" carb and presume adjusted fueling to match? - Not saying it was k-tec but know the owner was a good customer of theirs.

How do i know if its a group a carb?

thanks, Sam

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 20:49
what pressure was it running?

samcourtney86
26-09-2012, 20:53

No sure, though 15psi comes to mind?!

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 21:00
difficult pressure to judge, on some cars thats about the max limit of the std carb. hopefully for that pressure its probably not been fiddled with much. upwards of that pressure the 2nd stage enrichment needs to be adjusted along with the ac jet depending how much higher you go.
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381 servicing the carb

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/miscellaneous%20Technical%20Files/Solex_32_Dis_drilling_2nd_stage.pdf
2nd stage adjustment.
:D