PDA

View Full Version : Pre Respray Hints & Tips

LiamR
25-09-2012, 16:18
I am stripping my car down myself before the respray to save on costs etc.

So basically I will be getting my shell picked up and sprayed and I will be having the bodykit, bumpers etc sprayed off the car and I will be putting them back on at a later date.

I have started stripping my 5 and have got most things off. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice before I send it off to be sprayed?

Once I take off the side skirts I will be checking the sills (inner and outer) but has anyone got any handy hints or tips?

Is it worth taking off my front wings and putting some sort of underseal on the inner wings? Is it worth doing the same to all four arches?

As once I have it sprayed I want it to last forever ;)

Benjer182
25-09-2012, 18:27
Waxoyl the life out of it after the respray any underseal type stuff like that do after paint not before underseal is a pain to deal with during paint

dangerous dave
25-09-2012, 18:57
you'll be welding before it goes to paint so plan for metal work.. i had a good few repairs on mine and it was pretty solid, but why paint and leave any rot.. pointless..

gimme5
25-09-2012, 20:24
Take all the panels off,Degrease shell,sort all metal work out first,once this is all done,
Etch prime the new metal,then when it go's to the body shop ask them to seal and stone chip your inner arches,Repairs etc this way they will paint over the stone chip rather than just use a black underseal after its being painted,it will look more pleasing to the eye and last alot longer.Take a look at my gimme5 resto on the boards to give you a idea and gimme 5 resto (Space between e and 5) for welding pics.
Any questions please ask did all the work on mine Inc. spraying as this was my trade.