PDA

View Full Version : Starter/gearbox alignment?

Mattr5uk
24-09-2012, 17:52
I'm having a bit of a problem with getting the starter to line up correctly. Has anyone else had a problem with the Volvo gearbox an starter being noisey? Flywheels been replaced new starter an the dowl is located in outer hole of starter housing. Any advise appreciated.

tubbyG
24-09-2012, 18:34
Not sure on the Volvo, but im pretty sure that on the R5 Gearbox you use one of the inner locating holes for the Dowel.
Have you tried the dowel in another position to see of there is any difference?

Mattr5uk
24-09-2012, 19:12
I did I think that was before I changed the flywheel. I will try it again on inner fixing an see from there. Didn't know if there was any difference with it being the Volvo gearbox. Got to take box out again as rear mains leaking so ill have a closer look then! :cry:

Markey Mark (BD)
24-09-2012, 19:20
Stick the starter dowl on the inner hole and it'll be ok, the gearbox casings are identical so won't be the gearbox :agree:

Mattr5uk
24-09-2012, 20:12
It wouldn't be so bad if I was keeping it I don't mind putting the time in but it's got to go so I'm reluctantly taking my time with it. Nowt worse sorting all issues out for someone else to get the pleasure out of:mad:

Mattr5uk
25-09-2012, 19:09
All sorted thanks! Dowel was in wrong position. So now onto next issue :/

Chunk
26-09-2012, 08:28
I had this issue, the motor was making a right racket!

I noticed the dowel was missing, so I fitted a dowel, still the same, tried the dowel in both holes, no change, removed the dowel and re-fitted, noise went away. Bizarre...

I tried two different motors as well.

sean5gtt
26-09-2012, 18:29
I had this issue, the motor was making a right racket!

I noticed the dowel was missing, so I fitted a dowel, still the same, tried the dowel in both holes, no change, removed the dowel and re-fitted, noise went away. Bizarre...

I tried two different motors as well.

Sorry for being a novice but what is dowel? I had this problem too, both time brand new 2x starter motors make terrible noise when starting up so change spare flywheel I have as 1st flywheel teeth damaged but don't want to put 3rd new starter motor in before I know what wrong with this, can anyone show me pic or drawing of dowel?

Ta in advance

Sean

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 20:22
a dowl is like a little tube that goes in to a hole slightly larger than the bolt hole and lines the starter up, the bolt also passes through the center, ive never looked/noticed where the dowl sits. im sure someone will post.
looks like this
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/619/948/248/1273730867542_hz-myalibaba-web12_1690.jpg

Tony Walker
26-09-2012, 20:24
always best to nip up the bolts first, dont just tighten one all the way. Then tighten them evenly.

Mattr5uk
26-09-2012, 20:45
Not very easy for me to explain but I'll have a go. If you look at the starter motor where bolts go through there is 4 threaded bolt holes. 2 holes are slightly larger to take the dowel in. The dowel should go in the middle hole closest to the starter motor teeth so I have just found out! Hope that makes sense. :/

sean5gtt
26-09-2012, 23:01
a dowl is like a little tube that goes in to a hole slightly larger than the bolt hole and lines the starter up, the bolt also passes through the center, ive never looked/noticed where the dowl sits. im sure someone will post.
looks like this
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/619/948/248/1273730867542_hz-myalibaba-web12_1690.jpg

Can I buy those dowels from GSF parts or have to get it from renault dealer?

Sean