PDA

View Full Version : New Radiator Help

Numptysnumnuts
23-09-2012, 14:18
OK so I have read all the bits and pieces relating to replacing a radiator and heater matrix. Mine I think is running hot to the point I have a switch to bypass all stats and switch the fan on manually.

Would appear to have standard old renault rad and it needs to be replaced it doesnt leak but think its clogged up due to months of being idle. It has the oil cooloer vertically on side and I know these engines if increasing power are better suited for a seperate cooler mounted below the rad. What I would like to know the reason there are 3 different thickness rads and which is better suited. Fully aware of the bigger the cooling area the more cooling takes place but which is best suited as the bigger the radiator the more materials, liquids and hence more weight.

Also I have seen a post on here about a Golf GTI rad being fitted not knocking it but would just like to know why. Is it a space thing or do they work better than the Renault ones.

Sparkie
23-09-2012, 14:47
if you are going to fit an after market oil cooler, fit the thickest radiator you can. - the thermostat will take care of the rest.

Chris Holt
23-09-2012, 15:04
Just so happens I've got a double capacity rad, oil cooler,l (pls the pipes, and sandwich plate) that I'm selling as my 5 was written on
It's in south London.

Chris Holt
23-09-2012, 15:06
Side shot

danielmk323
23-09-2012, 17:25
i had one of the one on ebay the the 50mm ones whit no oil cooler i did it like the fact is so close to the engine in the turbo oil drain pipe part

Numptysnumnuts
23-09-2012, 17:38
How much Chris?

Also when fitting these is it a good idea to replace all the sensor bits with new? Stat, temp sender etc.