PDA

View Full Version : gearbox/clutch queery

tubbyG
22-09-2012, 15:48
right then.... I have recently had the box out to fit a new clutch, Its now back together with the exception of drivers side driveshaft and wheel, the engine runs perfectly except one gearbox issue.

today I ran the engine (front up on axle stands) to have a play with the gear linkage.
I only have the passenger side driveshaft fitted as im still waiting to get the other side back.

It seems that I can select gears fine but when in gear, the driveshaft/wheel is not rotating :scratch:

there is also a slight knock/rattle from the box when in gear and bring the clutch up:cry:

the clutch I used is an old bb tuning 4 paddle clutch I had refurbished, But I re-used the release bearing from my sachs clutch. Question is, is this release bearing suitable/right size for this application, or should I have got one that goes with the clutch? and in regards to the lack of rotation with the wheel, would it really matter that I only have one driveshaft on?

thanks in advance

Markey Mark (BD)
22-09-2012, 15:52
Yes it would matter that you left one driveshaft and wheel off, i bet you if you look under the car with it in gear and running you'll see the shaft from the box rotating as its turning the easiest part of the drivetrain, sounds perfectly normal mate

As for the release bearing i would of personally used a new one with the clutch but have seem various mix matched bits before and they worked ok

tubbyG
22-09-2012, 16:08
cheers for the response Mark :agree:

yes your right, the small shaft on drivers side is rotating very well.. phew, thats a big relief... I was thinking I have knackared something....... instead I was just being :rob:

I know I should have used a new bearing, but it looked good, and being a pikey I re-used it :(

I will have the other shaft in tomorrow, so hopefuly the rattle is also due to the imbalance of the transmission... as I dont fancy taking the box out again

thanks again