PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Options (HELP!)

Matt Cole
18-09-2012, 13:57
Ok guys, i'm struggling with this one!:mad:

I have an R26.R type solid flywheel made by a company i cant remember. Now the 225/R26 and the '.R' flywheels are different, ie, the clutch covers go on but the pot depths of the flywheels are different heights and, hense, wont clamp the friction plate.

So..........i need an R26.R cover or something similar off another car, diesel maybe?

Tried Helix and plenty of other companies who only do flywheel/clutch kits for £1000 plus.......

The clutches are all 240mm, so is there any one out there that can cross check the manufacturers part numbers for the covers?

I'm sure a diesel laguna / megane might fit?

I want to use a paddle plate to the same thickness as the standard friction plate.

Oh and yes i could go to Reno and get an R26.R clutch, but they dont sell the cover seperately and want £350+ for it which is a bitter pill to swallow if it wont do what i need it too.

Any suggestions greatly received.:agree:

Scoff
18-09-2012, 14:24
If you have a good cover already matt, why not have a paddle plate made at the right thickness to suit the cover ? CG motorsport or questmead could do that.

Matt Cole
18-09-2012, 14:32
If you have a good cover already matt, why not have a paddle plate made at the right thickness to suit the cover ? CG motorsport or questmead could do that.

Cheers Scoff.

I have an AP organic plate already, but no cover although i did get my hands on an R26 cover to try. I did have the 225/R26 cover but it really doesn't have enough clamping force for what i need. :crap: The R26.r is supposedly uprated.

Scoff
18-09-2012, 15:02
You could just send them the center plate and tell them you want x.xx mm thick pucks on it. Probably cheaper than a new cover :)

Dave Reed
18-09-2012, 15:15
Or just machine a step in the flywheel to increase to pressure of the cover plate.. Must be cheaper than getting a centre plate repucked..

Scoff
18-09-2012, 16:26
Or just machine a step in the flywheel to increase to pressure of the cover plate.. Must be cheaper than getting a centre plate repucked..

May just need to keep an eye on offset for release bearing.

Matt Cole
18-09-2012, 16:46
May just need to keep an eye on offset for release bearing.

Yeah good point, i'm not sure how much tolrance is built into the hydraulic release bearings, ie, the distance the piston protrudes to effectivaly disengage the clutch.

Also if i machine the flywheel bolting face i guess im screwed if it doesn't disengage. :crap:

Im still thinking of getting a cover off a diesel Laguna/Megane and suitably modify to fit.

Dave Reed
19-09-2012, 05:37
I think when they do this you only go for around .90 to .100" .. But I suppose it depends on how much you need to increase the pressure by, must be able to calculated it some how?

But yes once the material is gone from the flywheel the only way to go back is to machine the rest away so it's flat again :D

Maybe once you've got the box of you can measure how far the release bearing is able to move? I would of thought quite abit in a standard car.

Ashy
19-09-2012, 23:56
Maybe once you've got the box off...........

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Its been 2yrs and yes not got it on yet never mind getting it off!

Matt Cole
09-10-2012, 13:29
Update:

I have sort of a plan but firstly need to know what thickness the standard 225 pressure plate is? I have a standard 225 cover and an AP plate which is thicker than standard and protrudes above the flywheel bolt face by about 1mm. The cover goes on and does clamp the AP plate when bolted down but i have no idea on what clamping force this will give. :crap:

Matt Cole
03-12-2012, 12:43
I guess i'm on my own with this one so here goes with the trial and error method:

The image is of a presure plate and AP friction plate combination. The AP plate is just under 10mm thick at rest. As you can see, with the pressure plate at rest, the mating faces are i think a couple of mm prior to bolting it all down. Is this typical for the majority of clutches?

Matt Cole
18-02-2013, 13:19
Bit of an update with pics to follow:

I basically stormed into my local Eurocarparts with a sorn off banana and forced the parts chap to order in 6 clutches from my list of potential suspect part numbers.

I have finally got one that fits my flywheel and should hold enough torque.:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Only thing is its self adjusting. Does anyone know if you can just wind the cover on with the bolts or is it a must to use the tool to disengage the clutch prior to fitting?

Gladly saved myself plenty £££ instead of going to Renault.:agree:

Tony Walker
18-02-2013, 18:20
is it the twisty clio v6 type?

Matt Cole
18-02-2013, 21:04
is it the twisty clio v6 type?

Not sure what you mean mate but it does have three springs on the cover with a guide pin through the middle of each.

Tony Walker
18-02-2013, 21:51
renault v6 clutch, self adjusts and has to be set(supplied from renault isnt fully set)
the 3 springs need to be compressed further.

Matt Cole
19-02-2013, 12:55
Pics as promised. Theres a fair difference in the pressure plate meat compared to the standard 225 cover. Good thing is there seems to be a decent gap between the cover and the flywheel bolting face which hopefully means decent clamping force!

To fit the cover, does the tool required preload the springs so it can be bolted to the flywheel with relative ease? I guess once the cover is bolted on then the springs are released?