PDA

View Full Version : 100 cell cat

Mart
11-12-2008, 23:14
Now then,

I'm after a 100 cell sports-cat, 3" diameter tubing. Can anyone recommend a UK company that supplies them? (and I don't just mean finding me one via Google!). I've found several State-side, and good prices too, but don't want to run the risk of potentially getting stung by the vat/import duty man, plus I could do with one fairly soon ish.

And obviously, in keeping with time-honoured tradition, I don't want to be paying stupid money for one :D

dangerous dave
11-12-2008, 23:49
dont you know anyone over in the US? if they buy it, rub chocolate on it then post it you should be ok as its not New.. a happy birthday box helps:)

Penfold aka The Dealer
12-12-2008, 08:10
Yeh if you can get somebody to send it over from the States as a Personal Gift and have a value of $0 you will be ok... often the companies out there are happy to do this... often gets sent from a Employee's address rather than the business address... they can send you the invoice in a different envelope if your that bothered....

Worth a try my friend.

Mart
12-12-2008, 08:11
That doesn't always work out chaps, and knowing my luck, I'd get caught out & then stung with the extra.

Mart
12-12-2008, 08:13
Plus, as I mentioned, I could do with it fairly pronto.

RichR
12-12-2008, 10:22
The VAT 'gift' loophole was closed years ago. However, 'repaired parts' attract zero tax because you've already paid tax on them when they were new...

Doesn't help Mart though. The ZeroSports ones seem reasonably respected in Japan, though there's not much market for freer flowing cats in turbo Subarus as the standard one isn't actually that bad. And on the twin turbo ones, decatting leads to the primary turbo spinning too fast and suffering bearing failure...

Misky
12-12-2008, 10:28
The VAT 'gift' loophole was closed years ago. However, 'repaired parts' attract zero tax because you've already paid tax on them when they were new...

Doesn't help Mart though. The ZeroSports ones seem reasonably respected in Japan, though there's not much market for freer flowing cats in turbo Subarus as the standard one isn't actually that bad. And on the twin turbo ones, decatting leads to the primary turbo spinning too fast and suffering bearing failure...

Thats some knowledge for you right there! :agree:
I love this club!

I recieved some clothes a couple of weeks ago from a mate in the states to avoid paying expensive shipping and tax, I wasnt aware that the loop hole had closed :scratch:
Surely there would be a UK stockist/supplier that someone would know of.

Leigh
12-12-2008, 12:49
At work we use a place called B&M for our cat's and they list 100 cell one and dimensions on there site here : http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/downloads/BMPERFORMANCEADVERT.pdf

They can make cats from a pattern of you old one aswell if that helps :D

Leigh
12-12-2008, 12:56
I bought a few bits from the states got them delivered last week and got the seller to make the customs slip it was a gift and i didnt get stung.

Looking on Royal Mail website looks like rules have changed : As of the 1st of December 2008 you will no longer be required to pay customs duty for goods up to the value of £105, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.

Ian S
12-12-2008, 13:49
0ver £18 goods value it was 6% duty followed by 17.5% VAT. So that was about 25%.

So does that mean it's now £105 before the 6% is added? What's the value before VAT is taken?

Leigh
12-12-2008, 13:55
0ver £18 goods value it was 6% duty followed by 17.5% VAT. So that was about 25%.

So does that mean it's now £105 before the 6% is added? What's the value before VAT is taken?

The way i read it would be £105 before the 6% is added but Vat is over the £18 threshold. Here's the site : http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1?catId=19100179&mediaId=19100241

Ian S
12-12-2008, 15:21
It looks that way to me too.

No fees at all if the value is below £18.

There is an £8 'handling fee' to add to everything they add VAT to.

Excise duty is another fee that, it looks like, only applies to certain things.

Gifts are not chargeable up to £36. Over that and the fees are the 'normal' ones. £15% of the value (minus £36?) plus the £8. Plus 6% of that over £105? Or 6% of the full value if over £105?

Mart
12-12-2008, 17:45
Cheers for the link Leigh. I'll drop them an email over the weekend.

Would've been handy (and probably cheaper) to buy an off-the-shelf, already knocked up, jobby though...

Adam L
12-12-2008, 18:00
A good mate used to make his own decat pipes for his old Evo's, i'll have a word and see if he'll knock one up again. Is yours they the same angle as the early Evo's (III)?

Adam L
12-12-2008, 18:05
I should have read the title and your first post properly. He makes them out a straight peice of 3'' tube.

Mart
12-12-2008, 18:09
You should read again. I don't want a decat pipe, you geeza

Woznaldo
13-12-2008, 08:39
Drop these guys an email and see if they have a UK agent:

http://www.metalcat.com.au/

Had to have one fitted for my GTT. Aussie Design Rules.:(

Mart
13-12-2008, 10:34
Cheers Woz. Have just emailed them, along with the company Leigh mentioned.

I didn't think sourcing a 100 cell cat' would be this much hard work!

Leigh
13-12-2008, 11:52
Cheers Woz. Have just emailed them, along with the company Leigh mentioned.

I didn't think sourcing a 100 cell cat' would be this much hard work!

Just looking through my receipts from when i had my 206 and i got my cat and manifold from Maniflow through Longmans, looked on there website not very helpful looks old school type of place. But they made my bits from scratch so might be worth a call aswell :D

markey b
13-12-2008, 15:31
the local powerflow place to me use universal 100 or 200 cell cats, think they are from 'bennets' motorfactors

Mart
14-12-2008, 12:09
Never thought of Powerflow. Cheers mukka. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.

Anyone else?