PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump relay wiring

Jay
11-12-2008, 20:57
Anybody know where the different colour wires from the fuel pump relay go to ? There's :
White
Red
Black
Brown
Yellow

I got a new fuel pump relay from G.S.F today expecting it to be a case of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. I was wrong.
In the instructions with the new one i need to connect 4 wires up
which are :
1. 12v
2. coil
3. distributor
4. fuel pump

I thought that the red is probably 12v and the white is probably the fuel pump as these are the two that you bridge to get the pump on constantly.
If i'm right so far then i need to know which colours go to the coil and the distributor ?
Cheers Jay

Kris M
11-12-2008, 21:04
Is the new relay the same shape as the original ???? How come you cant just plug it into the relay holder ?? :)

tiff_lee
11-12-2008, 21:09
Have a look here

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/Fuel%20pump%20wiring.jpg

I thought 493 was the fuel pump relay but then I havent got my haynes to hand to check so meh

Scoff
11-12-2008, 21:10
sounds like the new one is like a universal type thing ??

yellow = ignition live
fat red = battery live
fat white = to fuel pump
black = earth
brown = tach input from AEI

so you might be able to connect your new "distributor" wire to the brown tacho wire, it should do the same job, ie it'll see a pulse on this wire when the engine is turning and so turns the relay on.

Scoff
11-12-2008, 21:14
Have a look here

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Wiring%20diagrams/Fuel%20pump%20wiring.jpg

I thought 493 was the fuel pump relay but then I havent got my haynes to hand to check so meh

nah, thats the aux pump relay, 187 is the main relay. haynes calls it something stupid !

tiff_lee
11-12-2008, 21:18
haynes calls it something stupid !
No surprises there then!

493 is required for the fuel gauge though right?

Scoff
11-12-2008, 21:20
umm dunno, I don't think so. gauge runs right to sender. the sender also feeds the aux relay too but it's removal I (dont think) will stop the gauge from working.

tiff_lee
11-12-2008, 21:27
Ah right cool, only reason I asked was because my 5 was missing 493 (I think) when I purchased it and neither the fuel pump or fuel gauge worked but after replacing it the fuel pump works but still no gauge.

Its been a long day and I cant really remember to be honest if it was 493 though so will have to double check tomorrow.

RichR
12-12-2008, 10:24
You can see the aux pump relay if you remove the right hand rear passenger armrest insert - the bit with the ashtray and pocket. It's bolted to the top of the rear wheelarch.