PDA

View Full Version : Fueling issues

chezzer85
13-09-2012, 22:28
I have issues with my five ideling, seems to lean out.
I have just had it all in bits and replaced the manifold gasket, turbo gasket, inlet manifold core plugs, and carb base gaskets and still runs the same. So think it must be down to the carb, which has only done a couple of thousand miles since a rebuild by mike. Any quick tests i can do? I've not got a spare carb to try. I'm running a sandard-ish set-up and carb and T2 at 14psi. Thanks

Tony Walker
13-09-2012, 22:31
check theres no other leaks on the vacuum side of things, inlet manifold gasket, one way valves on the inlet manifold, mixture screw has the rubber ring on it.
Take the idle jet out and give it a good blast.

Dave Reed
13-09-2012, 22:32
I have issues with my five ideling, seems to lean out.
I have just had it all in bits and replaced the manifold gasket, turbo gasket, inlet manifold core plugs, and carb base gaskets and still runs the same. So think it must be down to the carb, which has only done a couple of thousand miles since a rebuild by mike. Any quick tests i can do? I've not got a spare carb to try. I'm running a sandard-ish set-up and carb and T2 at 14psi. Thanks

Most likely an air leak.. Best thing to do is have a spray round with some easy start.. Try round the green seals at the back of the carb where the butterfly spindle comes out.

chezzer85
14-09-2012, 09:49
Tried all of the above, still no joy. Would a faulty fpr cause leaning out at idel?
Anymore ideas?

Dave Reed
14-09-2012, 10:04
Possibly but I doubt it tbh.. Just stick a fuel pressure gauge in line to double check. Should be around 5psi iirc.

When you say leaning out what sort of afr's are we looking at? And also is this just at tickover?

THE MASTER
14-09-2012, 11:07
take the idle mix adjusting screw out and see if its snapped the point off in the carb ;)

chezzer85
14-09-2012, 13:31
Possibly but I doubt it tbh.. Just stick a fuel pressure gauge in line to double check. Should be around 5psi iirc.

When you say leaning out what sort of afr's are we looking at? And also is this just at tickover?

Afr's are all over the shop had have been for ages, think my sensor might be at fault. It's reading 17-15 jumps about a bit at idel and reads 12 at boost, did the 660 mile trip to ND like this with no issues though. I have never had the correct readings ever since i fitted my aem wideband.

I took the inlet manifold off to change the core plugs and fit aother one way valve as mine had snaped off and been bodged with mastic, no wonder my brakes where ****.
I was hopping this would sort the fueling issues too, but no result.

chezzer85
14-09-2012, 13:33
take the idle mix adjusting screw out and see if its snapped the point off in the carb ;)

I did check this before removing the carb and seemed fine, might be worth a look again.

Brigsy
14-09-2012, 19:49
Have you cleaned the idle jet?