PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard instruments and lights out

blythrob
13-09-2012, 18:40
Ho Folks,

Can anyone help me with a problem I have rebuilding my 5GTT?

I have it all back together (ish) but when I turn the key to position 2 no lights come on the dash (No battery or oil or anything). It does, however, start and run and all the lights, windows, indicators etc work fine......

Any quick fixes that I know sod all about?

casper
13-09-2012, 19:29
Do your clocks work speedo,rev counter,etc.

blythrob
13-09-2012, 19:39
Nope, no rev counter. Presume the speedo doesnt work either, didn't want to run it about as I haven't got the windscreen back in yet :)

casper
13-09-2012, 19:49
I'm no expert but here's some of the things I checked when I was having bother.fuses,black cylinder type connection under the expansion bottle,gave the circuit boards on the back of the clocks a light rub with wet and dry,connector of doom behind the passenger headlight.don't no if this helps at all but the two wires coming off the top of the alternator,yellow and purple,the purple one is for the battery light.

blythrob
14-09-2012, 08:11
I'll give it all a try, thanks. Fingers crossed :)

Dave Reed
14-09-2012, 10:08
Perhaps it's just the plug didn't plug in correctly on the back of the clocks.. Or the PCB is damaged where it plugs in, could also be a dirty connection.

blythrob
15-09-2012, 13:12
All suggestions worth a try, what I can't figure out is - I didn't touch the electrics or the dash or any plugs other than the lights front and back :confused:

Numptysnumnuts
16-09-2012, 08:38
Had something similar yesterday. Been messing around in the engine bay and when I came to try the car out I had lost indicators and a side light. Indicators worked on hazards but not directional. Side light was easy it was a take out and put back in so was dust or grease. Indicators meant I ended up taking the two relays in opposite corners out and plugging them back in even though I didnt touch them and the indicators sprung back into life. Not an auto electrician and I am sure that someone will tell me that these relays dont do the lights but all I can say is it worked.