PDA

View Full Version : Rad fan run off Alternator Dummies guide??

Kenobi
09-09-2008, 14:23
Well after a succesfull post ealier im going for another little mod so I can say goodbye to my troublesome rad fan relay.

Now Sparkie has explained this to me but it has rained none stop since he spoke to me.

Ok so want to run the rad fan off the alternator so i dont have to have a fan relay.

The benefit being its dont fail because of tthe relay. Will there be any probs with this mod?

Help. ta.

Chris Hebden
09-09-2008, 14:33
The relays on a car are their for a reason. Are you trying to by pass everyone of them on the 5? As far as i know the relays job is to lesson the strain in the wires them selves, have a read on the "click click no vroom vroom" article once it gets up loaded that explains what a relay is used for. In theory your idea would work i would have thought but its something to think about regarding the relay

tobester
09-09-2008, 15:35
from the sounds of things by bypassing the relay you will have fan drawing power through the fan switch itself, i'm not sure whether this will be a problem, try it and keep your eye on it :)

James5
09-09-2008, 15:41
I don't see any probs I would personally connect an inline fuse between the alt and the rad fan to be on the safe side.

royz
09-09-2008, 17:06
if the fan swich is not rated higher than the current draw of the fan it will stop working as it will burn out. and back to squre one of no fan. just coat the pins on the relay and plug in somthing like vasline inside the rubber shroud and the pins will not coddode as the are covered in a water proof coating:)