PDA

View Full Version : c1j crank

groky
09-09-2012, 12:41
looking for a c1j crank any one got one in good condition help.

Ian S
10-09-2012, 00:22
I have three I think.

One lightened and reground.

Two are probably original.

I've no idea what they worth so that's a problem.

groky
11-09-2012, 21:52
How much do you want for one delivered?

Big Steve - Raider
11-09-2012, 22:36
I have three I think.

One lightened and reground.

Two are probably original.

I've no idea what they worth so that's a problem.

What's been lightened??

May be interested in this one?

Kris M
11-09-2012, 22:49
^^ Oh loook out ;):D

groky
13-09-2012, 20:09
Still looking anyone

Ian S
14-09-2012, 12:18
What's been lightened??

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't get the emails to say there were new posts.

The flyweights are reduced by about 10mm, maybe a little more. Done by Big Jim. Very well balanced by him. Mains and big ends reground by Gosnays in Romford, so need one of the standard smaller sizes, I kept the boxes with the sizes on. If you wanted to be Pikey then I kept the somewhat used shell as well; Jim said by now they'd be run in and about where you'd want them. I think I may have numbered them all 1 to 4, will have to check that.

Probably just need freshening up with some fine grade paper wiped over the bearing faces and then a clean, before fitting.

Has the normal slight groove worn by the oil seal. Gosnays actually ground that face too and I tried various seals, one maybe slightly smaller. I always had the 'normal' slight leak there both on the original and with the ground one with all the seals, but then I did have some blow past from the bored liners at 24psi. Better crank case ventilation might have helped. I lost money and then interest before going that far.

Done about, err, well not all that many miles. I don't seem to recall any more :crap:

Ian S
14-09-2012, 12:22
How much do you want for one delivered?I don't know at this time what they're worth.

Can some please supply some guidance on a fair selling price?

I just went and had a look and there are indeed three.

Two might be OE with no work done. Al have the normal slight groove worn by the oil seal.

They weigh quite a bit some postage will be a few quid.

Thanks.

groky
17-09-2012, 09:38
Still looking anybody that can help?

Ian S
18-09-2012, 11:30
It looks like I should be asking around £150 + post for one of the OE ones?

CGB is selling for £60 a crank that he says needs a regrind.

Regrinds are £9 per journal = £81 probably plus VAT = £97 + shipping each way. So CGB's crank would be £157 + £12 shipping from him + shipping to and from the grinders = about £200.

My ones need a lap (dragging over with abrasive paper) to remove the mild corrosion from where they've been sitting, even though they've been in dry storage since removing from the engines.

I could get that done for you for you could get it done.

Ian S
18-09-2012, 12:26
If you wanted to be Pikey then I kept the somewhat used shells as wellAlas, it would appear that the main bearing shells are gone. I presume I took them into Big Jim / CTM on the block with the caps, which are also gone. They must have taken them off to work on the block and then years went by and everyone forgot. I just noticed it as it's the first time I've looked or thought about in five years. Hey Ho, I didn't think it would be so long before I did anything about this car.

Do still have the big end bearing though.

Jim said a lighten like this one would be £150. The regrind is about £97 inc vat from Gosnays. The balance might have been about £20 or so back then, not sure about now.