PDA

View Full Version : turbo water feed

groky
08-09-2012, 11:44
Do I really need turbo water feed as I've lost a pipe will I get away with out one for the time being.?

Nottswoody
08-09-2012, 12:19
with out sounding like taking this p1ss... its a watercooled turbo mate.. so i wouldnt advise it

s3irios
08-09-2012, 12:28
i've read about people removing it to "limit" pipes in engine bay. For me it's absolutely wrong. As prestated it's a water cooled turbo for a reason. Plus the water cooling the turbo actually gives more bhp and prolonges turbo health. It's an easy pipe to source after all not something special.

Brigsy
08-09-2012, 12:56
It will be fine without mate.

GTphil
08-09-2012, 12:59
Phase 1's never had a water cooled turbo, I know a few people who have ran a phase 2 water cooled blower on a phase 1 and it hasn't been an issue;)

Nottswoody
08-09-2012, 15:39
so i can blank off my t25 pipes and get rid of the water supply?:scratch:

GTphil
08-09-2012, 17:13
Yes, but if they are there why not use them, Renault obviously didn't make the addition to the phase two's for no reason.;)

by how much it cools the turbo I have no idea, I have even seen specific coolers aimed at just cooling the coolant before it enters the turbo???

BILLY-R5GTT
08-09-2012, 18:42
It will run with out it, seen this done before on a phase 2. Me personally I wouldn't remove it because it's there for a reason.

Why not just go and get a cheap bit of hosing from a car accessories shop for the time being just to get water through the turbo untill you get another pipe? Who cares what it looks like as long as it's doing the job. :)

Nottswoody
08-09-2012, 19:35
It will run with out it, seen this done before on a phase 2. Me personally I wouldn't remove it because it's there for a reason.

Why not just go and get a cheap bit of hosing from a car accessories shop for the time being just to get water through the turbo untill you get another pipe? Who cares what it looks like as long as it's doing the job. :)

:agree:

James5
08-09-2012, 19:44

:agree:

groky
08-09-2012, 21:57
:)

Mart
08-09-2012, 22:04
Fine to run it without the coolant pipes. Just means you might have to keep an eye on oil temps if tracking the car, and will certainly have to change the oil a bit more often.

s3irios
08-09-2012, 22:35
From the ole poor garrett company.

To minimize the effects of heat soak-back, water-cooled center housings were introduced. These use coolant from the engine to act as a heat sink after engine shutdown, preventing the oil from coking. The water lines utilize a thermal siphon effect to reduce the peak heat soak-back temperature after engine shut down. The layout of the pipes should minimize peaks and troughs with the (cool) water inlet on the low side. To help this along, it is advantageous to tilt the turbocharger about 25° about the axis of shaft rotation.
Many Garrett turbos are water-cooled for enhanced durability.

Now specifically on the 5s' my personal opinion is somewhere in the middle.
- You can use only the oil cooling alone without the water feed, BUT that WILL result in oil cooking and no matter how many minutes you leave the car idling before you turn it off, WON'T cool off metal and oil running that hot.

- On the other side not running the water feed WILL certainly help keep lower temps on water coolant and generally on the motor itself. Which is a major plus on the 5s since they go pop fairly easy cause of over-temp.
-STILL when you have so many options on making the water cooling system run cooler, like bigger and better radiators, fans, adjusting of frony bumper to allow more air to pass and therefore cool better etc etc, why risk having oil cooked, resulting at more frequent oil changes and turbo services?

My honest opinion and not an absolute fact of mine.

DaveL485
09-09-2012, 09:58
Keep it in, it's there for a reason. My car even has an auxiliary pump that kicks in on engine shutdown and circulates water around the turbo for 10 mins on a timed relay.

Manufacturers don't spend the money fitting this kit, and doing the R&D behind it too, for no reason.

Robbo
09-09-2012, 19:48
i have run both with water and without and never had a problem, surely the water will just boil up anyway if its not circulating??

olidaviesuk
09-09-2012, 21:13
Both fine, if you run without water cooling you'll need to change the oil a lot more frequently as all that heat destroys the oil, might have been the reason the phase 1's had a service interval of 3,000 miles - although not sure what the phase 2 oil service interval is?

GTphil
09-09-2012, 21:29
Both fine, if you run without water cooling you'll need to change the oil a lot more frequently as all that heat destroys the oil, might have been the reason the phase 1's had a service interval of 3,000 miles - although not sure what the phase 2 oil service interval is?

Phase 2 is 6k;)

phase i 16 v turbo
09-09-2012, 21:39
Usually none water cooled turbo had larger oil ways.

Tony Walker
09-09-2012, 21:41
its there to stop the oil overheating in the core, this mainly happens when you switch off and the oil sits in the turbo.
If your gona run without water cooled effects then make sure you dont nail it then switch it off. give it a bit of time to cool down before you stop and switch off.

Tony Walker
09-09-2012, 21:43
i have run both with water and without and never had a problem, surely the water will just boil up anyway if its not circulating??

Water circulates without a pump. convection currents. hot rises cold descends and all that ....

Chunk
09-09-2012, 22:08
I've got a pipe

Jonny5
09-09-2012, 22:30
I've got a pipe

:agree: :laugh: :laugh: