PDA

View Full Version : Clio rear indicator problem

D4WNO
29-08-2012, 21:08
Hurrah, I can finally actually use the forum for advice :laugh:

I've got an 06' Clio new shape and today I started getting the fast clicky/flashy thing when I indicate left.

- It's fine indicating right
- It clicks quickly inside the car but only the front and side indicators actually flash, the rear one does nothing.
- I changed the bulb and it's still doing the same thing

Any ideas? :(

Spooky
29-08-2012, 21:18
Have you tried slapping the rear light cluster? :D

Usually happens when something isnt connected correctly or the bulb has failed :)

D4WNO
29-08-2012, 21:31
Yeah gave it a good kick :laugh:. I was thinking it could be a connection fault but I've no idea how to check or what to look for lol

Spooky
29-08-2012, 21:42
Sounds like you need to take the entire light off and see the main coupler is seating and not corroded...

I would suggest getting the other half to do it but he's good at breaking Renaults so could potentially make this molehill into a mountain :D

DaveL485
29-08-2012, 21:44
Got a multimeter?

D4WNO
29-08-2012, 21:57
Oh I can take the rear light off no worries, it's only 2 screws I think and it's only been off once before (earlier today). I'll pop into Adam's work tomorrow and get him to whack some electrical cleaner maybe on my earth connection (which I believe is behind the light). I hope it's not something really annoying

D4WNO
29-08-2012, 21:58
Got a multimeter?

Nope and nor has Adam but could potentially borrow one, what were you thinking?

Pete@Backyard Racing
29-08-2012, 22:17
Sounds like a corroded terminal where waters leaking into the light cluster use a small wire brush to de rust the terminal and silicone sealing to prevent water leaking in again. Also could be a bad earth or blown bulb.

car.crash
29-08-2012, 22:26
Women know your limits.

Mr Raider
29-08-2012, 23:15
Defo bad connection as front/side flashing faster than they normally should, doubt bulb faulty if already replaced :)

D4WNO
30-08-2012, 10:43
Ah cool, yeah the front and side are flashing really fast, well annoying. Will get myself down Adam's work later on and check it out properly :)

Ian S
30-08-2012, 13:04
You can use the multimeter to check the bulbs are not faulty. And to check the electrical connections are not faulty.

You can fit a known working bulb from the other side of the car; that proves it's not a bulb fault. Unless that bulb broke whist being moved; hence the multimeter.

Spraying on electrical switch cleaner maybe be worth a try but will probably will have no remedial effect. If there's corrosion making a non connection it has to be removed by scraping or brushing, etc.

DaveL485
30-08-2012, 16:54
Nope and nor has Adam but could potentially borrow one, what were you thinking?

Continuity test the earth on the bulb contact to a body earth like the boot catch on the slam panel.

Voltage test the +12v feed line. (Use an alternative earth point on the body, like the boot catch on the slam panel and not the cluster earth)

Test the bulb in another working holder.

If you have a +12v feed, a good earth and a working bulb you have an operational indicator. If one is missing, there's your problem.