PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak in carb area!

Jonny5
28-08-2012, 11:55
Well its a lovely day so i thought i would take the 5 out for a drive, its not moved since ND so took a little while and a bit of choke to start. Reversed her out the garage and everything was normal, AFRs giving the usual readings.
I left her running for about 5 minutes and noticed a whispy white smoke from under the bonnet! :eek: Popped the bonnet and it stank of fuel and the whole carb on the drivers side was soaked. It was pooling fuel on the inlet manifold and dripping on to the exhaust manifold hence the smoke.
The carb had a full rebuild three years ago and has not been disturbed recently, i have never had any issues before like this. She ran faultlessly on the 120mile round trip to blyton too, so baffled as to what could have caused this :scratch: apart from the car being a temperamenal french bitch! :cry:

Brigsy
28-08-2012, 13:20
Fuel hose split?

Jonny5
28-08-2012, 13:33
Fuel hose split?

I looked at the main feed an all seemed ok, but then again 90% of the pipe is encased in the perc fan ducting.
Im going to take off the king lead wrap the end in a rag to cover the spark and crank the engine to see if i can see any obvious leaks.
It must be external to the carb as the car was running fine while it was leaking.

Mart
28-08-2012, 13:36
Accelerator pump diaphragm/housing?

Jonny5
28-08-2012, 13:47
Accelerator pump diaphragm/housing?

It was wet above that housing so didnt think it would be that. Would that be a slow leak/drip or flow quite fast?

Jonny5
01-09-2012, 19:02
Well its fixed itself :confused:
I cleaned out the little filter behind the main fuel feed, reset the accelerator pump rod and generally tightened a few clips but found nothing wrong!
Started and drove it tonight and everything was fine....must have flooded it :ashamed:

Nottswoody
01-09-2012, 19:04
Well its fixed itself :confused:
I cleaned out the little filter behind the main fuel feed, reset the accelerator pump rod and generally tightened a few clips but found nothing wrong!
Started and drove it tonight and everything was fine....must have flooded it :ashamed:

Good get your butt to pod :)

Jonny5
01-09-2012, 20:50
Good get your butt to pod :)

Busy this weekend mate :crap: