PDA

View Full Version : Flowed carb tops?

GTphil
28-08-2012, 08:03
Just wondering if anyone thinks a flowed carb top is a good idea, or was it just tuner nonsense?

Reason I asked is I have had one kicking around for a few years and I have been using it for a year or so, my car is an excellent starter and requires zero choke, even after it's been stood for a few months:D

Yesterday I managed to crack the carb top around the fuel inlet, whist fitting and 8mm tail.:crap:

I have three or four spare carb tops so it's not that much of an issue, it's just as I have compared them the "flowed" one is a lot larger and had had lots of meat taken out from it.

Now logic tells me that as the boost pressure has to go all round the pipe run and through the cooler and then through the standard venturi that a flowed carb top won't make any difference at all.

I'm toying with the idea of taking one of my spare carb tops to and engineering place 5 mins from my house to have it taken out to match the one thats cracked.

Question is would I be better off keeping my cash in my pocket?:coffee:

Brigsy
28-08-2012, 13:21
Just de-choke it mate. Your not increasing the throttle area so it probably wont make any difference performance wise.

GTphil
28-08-2012, 13:33
That's what I have done, I have removed the choke and also got a bit giddy with the dremal and removed the bumps/lumps inside the carb top so it's virtually as smooth as the one that I have cracked.

I just need to polish up the inside of the carb top then run it through a dishwasher cycle to get rid of all the swarfe and it should be good to go.

Blocked of the choke spindle with a bolt cut down to size then chemical metaled in place, then ground down the protruding part of the bolt. Just used the choke screw that was in place and did the same with that.

Jonny5
28-08-2012, 13:36
I just need to polish up the inside of the carb top then run it through a dishwasher cycle to get rid of all the swarfe

Bet your mrs loves you lol :)

Mart
28-08-2012, 13:37
Question is would I be better off keeping my cash in my pocket?:coffee:

:agree:

Tony Walker
28-08-2012, 19:54
itll flow beautifully in to the most restrictive poor flowing part of the whole system.

dangerous dave
28-08-2012, 20:47
Bet your mrs loves you lol :)

I like the old "drain the oil out into the wash bowl" trick.. Tee he hee..

GTphil
29-08-2012, 18:38
Here's a few pics of my pikey de-chocked bored out carb top, took me about 2 hours from start to finish, but most importantly was free :D

Probably won't make any difference like but still i put my mind at rest:wasntme:

Here is a standard carb top
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=121&pictureid=6798

Here is the one I got giddy with the dremel on
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=121&pictureid=6799

I have since polished the inside of the carb top also;)

This is how I blocked off the chock spindle and butterfly holes.

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=121&pictureid=6800

Brigsy
29-08-2012, 19:17
Looks like you have took a fair bit of meat out of there mate :agree: ive just done a new one for the van after cracking where a stud fits in.