PDA

View Full Version : More Clio woes

andybond
24-08-2012, 20:53
Having some fun and games with the Clio turbo again.

Take out the injectors, clean the plugs and it runs right for a while. Thrn it starts missing under load. Changed the plugs, gapped thrn, regapped them but it keeps on doing it.

Any ideas?

Os8472
24-08-2012, 21:13
Dodgy coil pack maybe

James5
24-08-2012, 21:22
Dodgy coil pack maybe

:agree:Was just going to say dodgy coil pack.

Isn't this clio overfueling still??? if so plugs are probably sooting up and hence every time you remove and clean it's fine for a while. You need to find out why she;s overfueling personally I think she needs a re-map. Has the clio got an adjustable Fpr or is it using the std one?

andybond
24-08-2012, 22:00
Coil has been changed for a brand spanking new one.

Standard fpr afaik.

Yes - still over fuelling.

James5
24-08-2012, 22:07
Coil has been changed for a brand spanking new one.

Standard fpr afaik.

Yes - still over fuelling.

were is the fpr on this clio on the rail or is it in tank jobbie on this clio?? might be worth trying another fpr?? also what injectors is it running?? std 172 or is it the 225 jobbies??

andybond
26-08-2012, 12:32
James,

Fpr is standard on the plastic crappy rail.

Injectors at blue flag 225 ones.

5teve L
26-08-2012, 17:59
have you proof its even had a map flashed on ? or you have a sensor problem.. if its running rich it will soot up the plugs as James says..

andybond
26-08-2012, 18:05
Hi Steve,

We have a receipt that says there is a ktec group n ecu n there.

Funny thing is car did run right at 22psi( yep you read that right )

andybond
29-08-2012, 19:12
Would a bent valve cause these signs/symptoms ?

Brigsy
29-08-2012, 19:19
It would miss all the time if a valve was bent imo. If a change of plugs fixes it, chances are its down to fuelling whether ot be a sensor off or poor map etc

andybond
29-08-2012, 19:20
Plugs fix it for a short while mate - then it goes to ****e again.

Cylinder 2 is always wet.

James5
29-08-2012, 19:43
Plugs fix it for a short while mate - then it goes to ****e again.

Cylinder 2 is always wet.

Its not timing lol its fueling problem have you got std injectors available? Maybe because its low boost setup you only need std injectors and not the 225 jobbies. Has the car got decent afr gauge in place? Someone on here must have set of the std pico injectors lying aboout that you and Dean could try out:agree:

andybond
29-08-2012, 19:48
No standard injectors to hand - having said that I guess I could get some ?

I dont think it is injectors tho - something fundamental is amiss.

Just dont know what.

Whilst you are helping me , updated my VNT issue.

Wouldnt it be easier if you just got on the train and helped us out ? :D

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 20:26
I have boxes of standard Clio injectors.....:crap:

andybond
29-08-2012, 20:34
Matt,

Can I paypal you over some brass to stick some in the post ?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:24
Just send a padded envelope with enough space and postage to get it back to you, you can have a set, don't want anything for them, they are hovering over the bin, (along with loads of other Clio Mk 1 parts.....) but I might be interested in your 225 inj if they are no use?

Is it the standard Mk1 Clio 16v injectors you need though...? A sort of orange/yellow colour.
Matt.

andybond
29-08-2012, 21:25
I need to check the standard ones first, then stick with the 225 blue flags.

Can you pm me your address ?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:30
Sure, pm on its way.....

But is it the standard Clio 16v/williams injectors you need though?

James5
29-08-2012, 21:30
Just send a padded envelope with enough space and postage to get it back to you, you can have a set, don't want anything for them, they are hovering over the bin, (along with loads of other Clio Mk 1 parts.....) but I might be interested in your 225 inj if they are no use?

Is it the standard Mk1 Clio 16v injectors you need though...? A sort of orange/yellow colour.
Matt.

Matt he needs the clio 172 green little pico jobbies not the large mk1 clio orange/yellow thing's

James5
29-08-2012, 21:31
Sure, pm on its way.....

But is it the standard Clio 16v/williams injectors you need though?

No he needs the clio 172 little pico things:agree:

DaveL485
29-08-2012, 21:32
Oily, wet plug
Blue smoke

Rings/Bores.

Compression test it.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:37
No he needs the clio 172 little pico things:agree:

Ah, OK!! Well then I don't have loads of boxes of Clio injectors....:(

You can clean them yourself with a can of carb cleaner and a 12v switch....I'll grab a youtube clip in a mo.

Also check the resistances of all the injectors with ohm meter.

andybond
29-08-2012, 21:37
Comp test being done next week.

I kin hope its not anything like that and I have been a loon and missed a sensor or something ..

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:40
Try this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aT4S1lIBAY

May help and doesn't cost the earth.

andybond
29-08-2012, 21:49
Try this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aT4S1lIBAY

May help and doesn't cost the earth.

Thanks Matt.

I had moved the injectors around and the problem seems to stay in cylinder2.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:51
Not injectors then...:(

Cylinder leakage test next and fingers crossed....?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
29-08-2012, 21:55
Also, when you say Brand new coil, it it a genuine renault one? We had a similar problem here, it turned out to be an aftermarket coil fault.

andybond
29-08-2012, 22:17
Also, when you say Brand new coil, it it a genuine renault one? We had a similar problem here, it turned out to be an aftermarket coil fault.

Nope - Pattern part ...

Standard once sourced and hope to change ASAP

DaveL485
30-08-2012, 17:12
Oily, wet plug
Blue smoke

Rings/Bores.

Compression test it.

Cylinder specific.

Oily, wet plug.
Blue smoke.

=Rings/Bores. Maybe a stem seal but unlikely tbh.

Compression test it!

andybond
30-08-2012, 19:42

I kin hope its not anything like that and I have been a loon and missed a sensor or something ..

I kin hope its not anything like that and I have been a loon and missed a sensor or something .

DaveL485
31-08-2012, 11:24

I kin hope its not anything like that and I have been a loon and missed a sensor or something .

The point i've been trying to make to you, you thicko, is that sensors and crap like that are not cylinder specific. One sensor operates for all four cylinders.

Your problem IS cylinder specific. This reduces the options vastly. You have also tried switching plugs and injectors around so not only is it cylinder specific it's unique to one cylinder only as the fault does not follow the swapped item. This limits the options even more.

As (I believe) it runs wasted spark this rules out coil pack as the other paired cylinder would be affected too. The only other check would be the integrity of the HT lead (bad connection could also cause the weak spark/misfire)

The spark plug that resides in number two has a consistently wet, oily black electrode. This is symptomatic of worn rings &/or bores, or Stem Seals.

Granted this is an internet diagnosis, but applying common sense and providing what you have said is correct, I don't see much other option.

http://bot-racing.com/tech/plugdiag.jpg

andybond
31-08-2012, 18:29
The point i've been trying to make to you, you thicko, is that sensors and crap like that are not cylinder specific.

I am acutely aware of the cylinder specific issues you lanky fleabag.

It still could be a wire. a single pair that goto injector number to , which fuels cylinder 2.

Its unlikely , but its an option.

DaveL485
01-09-2012, 12:09
I am acutely aware of the cylinder specific issues you lanky fleabag.

It still could be a wire. a single pair that goto injector number to , which fuels cylinder 2.

Its unlikely , but its an option.

I await the genius explanation whereby a faulty injector wire = oily spark plug.

Well?

Come on?

Lets hear it! :D:laugh:

5teve L
01-09-2012, 12:39
Just read symptoms, I'm with Dave.... comp test, I bet the wet cylinder is down :crap:

James5
01-09-2012, 13:25
Is the plug oily wet then i was under the impression it was from overfueling??

As said on pm the other day comp test dry if bad then wet and post results

Tony Walker
01-09-2012, 20:13
you got a pic of the offending plug?

DaveL485
02-09-2012, 15:36
Is the plug oily wet then i was under the impression it was from overfueling??

As said on pm the other day comp test dry if bad then wet and post results

But it doesn't drop a cylinder @ idle (apparently) so the fuel is burning. It misses under load, but runs off-load. This is the reasoning behind the assumption that fuel is burning, hence the plug is coated in oil as opposed to fuel....plus fuel is obvious and dries off quickly after removal too.

As i said above though, internet diagnosis. Take with a pinch of salt.

andybond
03-09-2012, 21:20
Just come off the back of a 32hour straight shift.

Will asses soon :coffee:

andybond
03-09-2012, 21:44
I await the genius explanation whereby a faulty injector wire = oily spark plug.

Well?

Come on?

Lets hear it! :D:laugh:

Chunt.

Failure to regulate or pulse the injector by either causing it to pulse irregularly , or stick "on"

andybond
23-09-2012, 15:11
Compression test done.

155 - 180- 155 - 180

The fouling plug is on one of the 180 ones ..

Ideas ? Crap map ?

Would anyone be willing to lend a 172 turbo low boost ECU ?

r5 rich
24-09-2012, 13:11
Compression test done.

155 - 180- 155 - 180

The fouling plug is on one of the 180 ones ..

Ideas ? Crap map ?

Would anyone be willing to lend a 172 turbo low boost ECU ?

Is this the clio 172 turbo conversion which was knocking about a little while ago for around 2k?

James5
24-09-2012, 13:44
Is this the clio 172 turbo conversion which was knocking about a little while ago for around 2k?

yeah that would be the one

Mr Bond, those comp results are not good, did you do a wet test aswell to see if thing's improved or was that just dry? and did you do it with TB open.

Low compressions on those cylinders will explain the blue smoke.

Either rebuild it or get hold of another std engine which was known good:agree: or if that's not an option break the car and sell what you can on :agree:

Still no sure why number 3 is wet as results for comp test on that cylinder are ok.

Is oil present in number 3?? or is just fuel?? get a pic up of the plug??

If you have moved sparkie around and injector and its still number 3 with problem have you looked into loom problem, HT / coil pack problem for that lead

James5
24-09-2012, 17:31
Just a thought the Clio has an OBD2 port have you plugged in a reader to see what codes come up??

If you want to borrow mine your welcome, I have lost the code book but write the codes down and you can pull them of google anyway:agree: It might give an indication to a fault / cause of misfire

r5 rich
24-09-2012, 17:36
from what I have been told by someone previous who looked at the car to buy it, is that they think the map on the cars is a group N which would be related to a car which is N/A not a turbo.

andybond
24-09-2012, 21:03
from what I have been told by someone previous who looked at the car to buy it, is that they think the map on the cars is a group N which would be related to a car which is N/A not a turbo.

EXACTLY !

Its a group N map thing from KTEC.

I am guessing that isnt a turbo map...

James - its had a fault code reader on it - none came up.

I wasnt there when the tester things came up.

Dont suppose you know anyone with a "spare" low boost ECU kicking around we could test with ?

James5
24-09-2012, 21:11
EXACTLY !

Its a group N map thing from KTEC.

I am guessing that isnt a turbo map...

James - its had a fault code reader on it - none came up.

I wasnt there when the tester things came up.

Dont suppose you know anyone with a "spare" low boost ECU kicking around we could test with ?

Pm for you

andybond
21-10-2012, 18:55
Low boost map.

Anyone have one " kicking around " ....

andybond
30-10-2012, 19:09
Bump ! Help

r5 rich
17-12-2012, 15:57
got on furthur on this? Thought about it the other day for some reason!

westytce
17-12-2012, 19:19
Sounds like gone pop.

New block job done and have it mapped properly.

Merry xmas.

andybond
23-12-2012, 23:18
got on furthur on this? Thought about it the other day for some reason!

Not had the time or inclination to work on it recently to be honest.

I think it's a ****e map ( early ktec LPT ) on wrong injectors. That or a dodgy lambda.

Failing that its getting broken.

andybond
12-01-2013, 16:02
For anyone still reading this I have cured it with Vaseline.

Took the fuse box lid off, cleaned all fuses. Saw a connector at the bottom and cleaned that up. Greased all the other connectors I could find and car runs sweet. Get a slight whiff of smoke evey while - I think the turbo is on its way out.

Got a mot now - it flies. Absolutely flies. If only someone tuned one of tese and out it in a five.

Oh wait...,