PDA

View Full Version : First problem- lack of boost

madeinwigan
21-08-2012, 11:34
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I feel I'm getting into the ownership experience now, my first problem has arrived.

The car was running brilliantly with a nice healthy kick of boost until yesterday when it suddenly felt sluggish and I noticed that the boost gauge was only reading a third. What do you think my problem is? Is it most likely a hose or could it be something else?

Thanks

car.crash
21-08-2012, 11:41
Check all your hoses are done up tight and look for splits in the boost circuit first.

GTphil
21-08-2012, 13:54
A good way to check for boost leaks is to take the boost hose of the turbo and put your hand over it and listen out for it drawing air in from any part of the boost/vacume circuits.;)

Usually if you have all of a sudden lost some pressure and the turbo is still ok, then Usually its a leak somewhere.

madeinwigan
21-08-2012, 15:34
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. It's quite an overwhelming number of hoses under the bonnet, hopefully it'll be obvious.

car.crash
21-08-2012, 16:20
Most are water hoses. Unless you have a front mount with a long run. Look for the big hoses.

BILLY-R5GTT
21-08-2012, 17:07
Are you running a diaphram type dumpvalve? If you are the diaphram may have spit.

As mentioned check all your vacume pipes from plenum (lobster), boost pipes from your turbo to your intercooler and then to the plenum.

If the turbo is good then the worst you could possibly do is split your intercooler providing all your pipe work, dumpvalve, jubilee's, vacume pipes etc... are intact.

What boost have you been running?

Robbo
21-08-2012, 17:38
had a couple where the overboost switch pops out of the pipe

madeinwigan
19-09-2012, 12:40
All sorted now. In the end it was one of the boost pipes had split on the underside. A new set later and full power is now back.

Thanks for the pointers.