PDA

View Full Version : Pressure in cooling system help!!

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 08:13
I've recently done a full rebuild on my c1j , spent the last few months getting it finished n emptying me wallet in the mean time. I've noticed that on tick over the water wants to bubble up through expansion bottle , I've bled the system loads of times just In case , checked the pipe work and that seems all correct .. I've checked the dip stick and doesn't seem to be any water in the oil , checked the exspansion tank water by eye not sniffer tested and that seems ok?? But there is a small amount of cream on the oil breather pot and pipe?? It's got an upgraded head gasket and bolts, the heads been skimmed and fitted with piper 225 cam , plus full rebuild top and bottom, new liners seals etc ect .. The engine has ran for 20 mins at 2000rpm to bed cam in ut i havent re taulked the head or done tappets yet that was gonna be my next job a:confused:Any suggestions ??

BILLY-R5GTT
21-08-2012, 08:28
Are you running a thermostat and have you managed to get the car running up to noramal operating temp? Feel all your pipes and see if there are any signs of an obvious blockage somewhere... i.e. hot pipes, cold pipes, soft and hard pipes. In the mean time give the breather pipes a clean out properly and refit the an see if the cream comes back.

If you are running a thermostat is it opening and is it the right way round and are you getting the water returning to the expansion bottle from the top pipe?

New water pump fitted?

Cheers :agree:

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 09:14
Are you running a thermostat and have you managed to get the car running up to noramal operating temp? Feel all your pipes and see if there are any signs of an obvious blockage somewhere... i.e. hot pipes, cold pipes, soft and hard pipes. In the mean time give the breather pipes a clean out properly and refit the an see if the cream comes back.

If you are running a thermostat is it opening and is it the rightway round and are you getting the water returning to the expansion bottle from the top pipe?

New water pump fitted?

Cheers :agree:

Yeah I'm running a thermostat, I tested it and it opened ok, it's in right way nib into water pump.. I didn't use a new water pump, the water pipes are red hot, as for breathers they seem clear, .. The water is returning to expansion tank as normal too.The rad pipe gets red hot , the one that goes to water pump (top) feels quite hard.. I took that off and and blew thru it no blockage thru that. Also the main rad pipe runs freely but red hot! It gets to the 1st quarter mark or just past on temp gauge then it starts to pressure up .

BILLY-R5GTT
21-08-2012, 10:10
I have worked on a few 5's that have been a nightmare to bleed the air out of keep trying that too, I don't think the water is circulating properly.

Also is the temp sender sensor working correctly? The one on my 19 16v was knackered not that long ago and I thought my car was roasting itself on the quarter mark, I fitted a new sender to the temp gauge and it was running just over half way how it should be.

Maybe someone else will have some idea's, good luck with getting it sorted :agree:

Kris M
21-08-2012, 10:12
what colour cap have yougot?should be blue. th cap itself could be faulty if everything else seems normal. also check the turbo water cord itnt blocked with crap. this will cause the water to back up and create excess pressure

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 10:59
I have worked on a few 5's that have been a nightmare to bleed the air out of keep trying that too, I don't think the water is circulating properly.

Also is the temp sender sensor working correctly? The one on my 19 16v was knackered not that long ago and I thought my car was roasting itself on the quarter mark, I fitted a new sender to the temp gauge and it was running just over half way how it should be.

Maybe someone else will have some idea's, good luck with getting it sorted :agree:

Cheers for the advice mate I'll give em all A try. Hope it's. It the head gasket or I'll be looking her away in garage fOr a long while !

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 11:01
what colour cap have yougot?should be blue. th cap itself could be faulty if everything else seems normal. also check the turbo water cord itnt blocked with crap. this will cause the water to back up and create excess pressure

Mine is white. My last bottle had a white one too and ran ok! I ll check the turbo water feed later but they fairly new silicones so prob not but I'll have a look.

BILLY-R5GTT
21-08-2012, 11:05
Cheers for the advice mate I'll give em all A try. Hope it's. It the head gasket or I'll be looking her away in garage fOr a long while !

Yeah the head gasket would be the last thing to mention, let's hope you don't have to go down that road. :sad2:

Brigsy
21-08-2012, 12:30
When you mean pressure up is it blowing coolant out the header tank cap?

Is the waterpump working properly? You should see a nice constant flow back to the header tank.

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 18:05
When you mean pressure up is it blowing coolant out the header tank cap?

Is the waterpump working properly? You should see a nice constant flow back to the header tank.

Yeah mate it flows over as if it can't go anywhere else. It seems to flow back into the exPansion bottle no bother :scratch:

CHUNK The Goonies
21-08-2012, 18:08
Yeah mate it flows over as if it can't go anywhere else. It seems to flow back into the exPansion bottle no bother :scratch:
Tbh I remember putting the pump being not as smooth in turning when I put it back On? There was no play in it just felt stiffer than normal I thougt it might have been cos it was stood for a while? I had it blasted and new seal went onto. So could that be the prob?

Nialle
22-08-2012, 08:10
Have you got the heaters running when its pressuring up? mine pressures up when the heaters arnt on. if the are on check the fan is actually spinning

Kris M
22-08-2012, 10:10
having the heaters on shouldent have anything to do with your cooling system pressurising ??

Brigsy
22-08-2012, 11:12
having the heaters on shouldent have anything to do with your cooling system pressurising ??

:agree: makes no difference if heater is on or not.

Its can only be lack of water circulation i.e duff pump, duff stat or airlock. If there all good exhaust gasses are getting into the coolant matey.

Nialle
22-08-2012, 23:21
Duno then but mine does it haha. probly summat on its way out ha

CHUNK The Goonies
23-08-2012, 12:30
RIght chaps I've sorted it. After numerous bleeds and checking all pipes were not blocked I started her up but changed the cap on the expansion bottle. It's a blue one which is what I had anyway., but noticed that the valve was weaker than my old one. ?? So all that for a weak cap valve. :D :sad2:

Chunk
23-08-2012, 12:34
I bet the rubber seal had perished and wasn't allowing the system to pressurise or something

Kris M
23-08-2012, 12:48
you can thank me later ;-)

CHUNK The Goonies
27-08-2012, 21:36
you can thank me later ;-)

Cheers uk ow it all :D I'm quietly confident it's that!! When peeps cars tick over and heat up to temp how far should the water rise in bottle?? On mine it rises to full mark nearly, then fan kicks in and water lowers to half again ish!!? Can't remember it doing that before rebuild !