PDA

View Full Version : Annoying problem.

MikeA
10-12-2008, 11:04
(I hope Dave Coleman is reading this!)

Just a quick question for some advice.

I helped a mate fix some rust around the petrol cap area of his car and everything was going well.

Ive done some painting before and it looked like an easy fix. We sanded the rust back to bare metal, then three coats of rust-proof primer all sanded with p800 and then wet and dry p1200. It looked good, there was no orange peeling and it was feathered in nicely in the area. I left it for 24 hours to properly cure/dry and checked it the next day before planning the colour coat. It all seemed fine except three little pin head size 'spots' appeared and what looked like thick sap, or dirty water was oozing out of the little zit like spots. :mad: WTF?! All the area was cleaned before each coat.

Has anyone seen this before? All the work was carried out in a heated closed garage.

Is it moisture getting in? :scratch:

ANY advice would be great as the car has to come back on the road and I dont wanna just spray over it or sand it back again. :dearme:

Thanks in advance once again.

MikeA
10-12-2008, 12:18
Anybody? Pleeeease... :sos:

MikeA
10-12-2008, 16:06
Come on, Ive gotta finish the job tonight! Someone must be able to help.

Damn the silence!

Daaaaaaaave I need youre knowledge!

:denied:

dave-sbs
10-12-2008, 17:05
hey mike, sounds like fun :(...

I have never came across anything like that before tbh , almost sounds like road tar under the primer but if its been well rubbed down before hand it should'nt be.

Dont suppose you have small pin prick holes in the bodywork ( i presume it was a rust problem ) that could be allowing wax oil to seep through .
Are you using arsehole cans or a spray gun , could be water in the compressor coming through which will have oil in it , check your water trap.

Apart from that i'm not sure bud

michael tierney
10-12-2008, 18:03
i thought those cans were only available in brown??!!:p

MikeA
10-12-2008, 19:41
Cheers Dave.

We sanded it back to metal again tonight so we shall see. But it actually looked like spots (as in acne) and you could squeeze them but rusty water would come out. Not tonnes, just enough to cause a bead on the paintwork.

I dont understand why though cause it is a dry heated garage and we sanded back to bare metal twice!

Clearly Im doing something wrong but wish me luck!

We did the A-pilar as well and its coming out really nice, on the third coat of colour and about to wet and dry it then put on the last coat. Then lacquer time!

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Hopefully you will be seeing my 5 at the start of the year!!

What about the name of that product we were talking about?

MikeA
10-12-2008, 21:11
Are you using arsehole cans or a spray gun...

hahaha I just read that properly.