PDA

View Full Version : Help needed fuel pump problems

chris
18-08-2012, 19:40
I have just rebuilt the engine on my 5 its all in and ready to go the only problem is i have no fuel to carb so i ran a seperate feed to fuel pump and its pumping fuel its just not getting any power when cranking any body know of any fuses or common problems i have continuity from the multiplug on o/s to the fuel pump so i am really stuck any help would be great thanks

GTphil
18-08-2012, 19:52
Have you checked the fuel pump relay?

It's under the dash, above the fuse box, best to take the bottom part of the dash of, it's usually a black relay that says GET CARTER on it and from memory it has a large fat white wire either going to it or from it.

Best off removing the relay the bridging the wires and if the pump runs you know its the relay thats at fault, they can get a bi sticky with lack of use, sometimes giving them a tap with a heavey screw driver can unstick them but usually once it starts to stick it's on it's way out.

chris
18-08-2012, 20:00
Thanks for that yea that heavy white wire go's to multiplug for fuel pump the ditributor timeing was out a mile so i sorted that out and then i have this fuel pump problem what a day also will the pump start working with ignition on or only when cranking ?

Tony Walker
18-08-2012, 20:23
when the crankshaft sensor sends a signal that the engines turning :)

chris
18-08-2012, 20:57
So if the crankshaft sensor was knackerd that would also stop the fuel pump working how can i test that sensor and i take it thats the one that bolts to gearbox looking at flywheel

Tony Walker
18-08-2012, 21:10
ive never had a prob with mine so never looked in to it, but check the connector to the aei, then there should be a feed from the aei once an signal is recieved from the crankshaft sensor to the fuel pump relay, its at the relay you need to see if there is the feed once cranking.

chris
18-08-2012, 21:18
Thank you tony i am just reading threw haynes manual i think i got it sussed now

Tony Walker
18-08-2012, 21:30
if there isnt a switched feed when cranking at the relay then you need to look in to why? wiring aei or sensor

chris
18-08-2012, 22:09
I have a spark so i am assumeing tdc sensor is working is that right?

Tony Walker
18-08-2012, 23:05
Yep :-)

chris
18-08-2012, 23:17
Ok cheers tony thanks for the help

mightymanx
19-08-2012, 00:47
there is 1 wire to the ecu that is fuel related make sure they are well in :agree:

Alastair
19-08-2012, 10:48
relay next to the AEI.

chris
19-08-2012, 12:45
Cheers lads i have just got it to run now the relay was stuck also i was timeing the distributor up on number 1 thinking that was water pump end but its flywheel end so got it set up proply it fired up with choke but the afr gauge says 14.9 for bout 30 seconds then it goes up and down like crazy any ideas?

GTphil
19-08-2012, 13:35
Give your idle jet a clean out, its the large screw head on the drivers side of the carb at the top, you may need to do it quite a few times before it will idle and then you can set the idle speed and mixture settings.

Does the engine run smoothly, by that i mean does it run on all 4 cylinders?

chris
19-08-2012, 15:19
Give your idle jet a clean out, its the large screw head on the drivers side of the carb at the top, you may need to do it quite a few times before it will idle and then you can set the idle speed and mixture settings.

Does the engine run smoothly, by that i mean does it run on all 4 cylinders?

Yea fireing on all four but its a little lumpy it has got a piper 270 cam in and i rebuilt the carb new fuel filter and fuel pump it mite just want running up till its warm and up to running tempreture and see if it will idle with no choke