PDA

View Full Version : anyone on here fitted the 172 cup engine in a five and kept it na?whats needed

r5_scotty
17-08-2012, 22:04
as in tittle has anyone fitted the f4r 172 clio engine in a five and kept it na? im trying to find out whats needed? i have the f4r lump which has been servied and cleaned up and a fresh cambelt. i have a r11 box which im in the process of cleaning up. and a gtx engine mount. and the f4r loom and ecu.

want to start small and build it upover time. what this to be a cheap easy ish build:D a bit of fun so my gtt can be looked after while i have fun in this build if it happens.
may need alot of help.

what is exactly needed?

what clutch to run and what flyheel?

engine wireing?

cheers:)

5alldaway
17-08-2012, 22:47
i would think ashy did this conversion before he turbo'd it

James5
17-08-2012, 23:00
i would think ashy did this conversion before he turbo'd it

Yeah Ashy done it some time back and had in n/a form for some time i also done it but wasnt keen in n/a form the 5 needs a turbo

Its an easy conversion demobilised phase 1 ecu cable throttle body, and some one to modify the exhaust manifold and custom downpipe.

My attempt some time back
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1578&pictureid=5730

r5_scotty
06-09-2012, 06:36
ok could still do with some input from anyone on the forum please:D

im looking into flywheels etc at the momemt. im looking to run the 11 turbo gearbox on the f4 lump so i think i have to use a 200mm flywheel?as the 215mm flywheel from the 172 is to big for the box?

also i was hoping to use the phase 1 clio ecu but with the change of flywheel the esu will be useless? so will i have to go standalone?

any help on this would be great:agree:

James5
06-09-2012, 07:44
You can use the std 172 flywheel matey and clutch setup no need to change it, I used these in conjunction with a 5 gtt box without a problem, just remember to remove the front and rear stud on the gearbox otherwise you will be messing about for ages trying to get it to fit with the block.

Phase 1 172 ecu is cable matey and you will just need to get it fitted with an emulator to bypass the immobiliser setup, you will need the cable TB. It's a really easy conversion:agree:

In the conversion you use the 5 D/shaft's, 5 G/box. You also need to either drill the holes on the gtt metal front engine bracket or you get hold of a 5 GTx front engine mount (pretty hard to comeby now), GTX upper and lower alternator bracket's but if your getting a cup engine with non air con i think they have different alternator bracket so you might be able to use, you will also need a shorter ancillary belt. That will basically drop the engine straight into the 5, then it's just a case of exhaust manifold and downpipe fabrication, you will need a humped bonnet as the std bonnet will not close due to the taller f7 engine and the inlet plenium. And then it's a few basic wires to get it running, I would also recomend a better fuel pump over the std gtt item.