PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please - Rear Brakes Scrape

Sol
17-08-2012, 10:42
Hey Chaps,

My rear brake on the passenger side is scrapping (so I think the disk is rubbing on the pads) but its not constant. You hear it over and over as the wheel rotates, and obviously speeds up as I travel faster. What's weird though is that the scraping disappears totally if I am turning quite hard left, which leads me to wonder if its the wheel bearing that could be causing the problem?

I have had the wheel off and checked the piston and it seem's pretty good, rubber is still around it keeping the dirt out and it winds in and out freely.

Just want people opinions if they reckon it's the wheel bearing of something else?

Cheers!
Luke

markey b
17-08-2012, 11:44
i'd say wheel bearing fella, especially if it changes noise when you load up or unload that wheel when cornering

Sol
17-08-2012, 15:51
Cheers for the reply.

I'll get it jacked up tonight and replaced then.

markey b
17-08-2012, 16:34
to confirm, swap the disc left to right and see if the noise swaps sides :)

DaveL485
17-08-2012, 19:37
Warped disc, or high spot on the disc.

Tony Walker
17-08-2012, 19:42
either way sounds like you'l be replacing disc and bearing. i had a similar thing in the past.... some idiot before i bought it nearly pushed the bearing through the back of the disc, and the only thing holding the wheel on the car was the caliper :(
hold the wheel top and bottom and give it a wiggle then left to right and wiggle you should be able to feel for play.

Sol
18-08-2012, 17:05
A quick update.

Turned out it was the bearing, all fell apart when it the big nut was removed.
Got another one pushed into the rear wheel disc and job's done.

Cheers for the info chaps.