PDA

View Full Version : Aaaahhhhhhh!

Chunk
10-08-2012, 13:01
C1J is coming out again this weekend.

Bought an engine in unknown condition and dropped it in. It ran, but knocked when you revved it.

Had the sump whipped off and fitted some new bearings, but the knocking came back within a matter of minutes so suspect the crank has been knocked out of shape

Removing the engine again this weekend and ripping the crank out. I've got a spare bottom end with a good crank so i'll have that sent off and checked and fit that with some new bearings.

Hopefully that'll sort it. 2 years and counting since I bought this car and i've not had a proper drive in it yet :cry:

Sigh...

Andyturbo!
10-08-2012, 13:06
Keep the faith buddy cos believe me when it's done and u drive it, it's worth it!

Coops
10-08-2012, 13:12
keep on trucking laddo, you'll get there ;-)

Chunk
10-08-2012, 13:39
I'm keeping the faith.... trying to!

Never touched a bottom end before so now is my time to learn...!

Dave Reed
10-08-2012, 14:17
What happend the first time the bottom end went? did it spin a bearing?

Brigsy
10-08-2012, 14:18
I was going to say a new set of shells probably wont fix it mate. Regrind and new bearings will sort it. Id change the oil pump internals and get a pressure gauge hooked up too.

Chunk
10-08-2012, 14:51
Nah it didn't spin the bearing, it just hammered it nice and flat.

The new shells did sit in nice and snug but there's movement in it again now. I've got a spare crank so i'll have that checked out and fitted with some new shells.

Oil pump actually looks almost new, gave it a clean out and oil pressure picks up really quickly when you crank it now so that should be fine.

Brigsy
10-08-2012, 15:21
Defo worth checking the tolerances on the pump mate;)

markey b
10-08-2012, 17:11
dont give up, mine breaks everytime i drive it.... be the 7th year of ownership at the end of this month :laugh:

GT Josh
12-08-2012, 23:38
I hate to say this mate but I told you so... :laugh:

Coops
13-08-2012, 10:37
cant believe you've never stripped a bottom end yet Keiren! madness after all these years of French heaps :laugh:

Chunk
13-08-2012, 11:06
Oil pump looks relatively new on this engine and the oil pressure was good, so i'm happy with that.

Funnily enough in all my years of french ownership i've never, not once had a knocking engine or a bottom end failure.

Stripped down the old C1J this weekend so I know how they all go together now, very easy! Looking forward to building it all back up.

Does anyone bother using some special paste for the bearings or shall I just give them a drop of oil?