PDA

View Full Version : Rounded Out Strut

scratcher
09-08-2012, 21:13
So today I thought I'd do a nice simple job of changing the top mounts and that.

Got the suspension off of the front, went in the garden to strip it all down. Allen key in the top... and it was all rounded out :(

Tried knocking a bigger allen key in but no joy :( What are my options, new ones or does someone have a magic trick?

I've got a seriously painful elbow at the moment (just about got the bolts undone today) so the lighter and easier, the better :)

Brigsy
09-08-2012, 21:29
Impact gun will shift it. If there normal springs make sure you have spring compressors on. Go down your local garage and get them to whizz it off:)

Spooky
10-08-2012, 00:12
What the big man said :agree:

scratcher
10-08-2012, 09:29
But won't the centre just spin?

I wish I didn't start now :( tried taking the track rod ends off too. Got half way through and my arms in more pain than before. Should've listened to the doctor! Haha.

Chunk
10-08-2012, 11:13
Nah it'll probably come off pretty easy with a gun, i've done it a few times.

scratcher
10-08-2012, 12:33
Worth a go then, cheers :)

Been speaking to a mate and we're going to adapt some coilovers to fit any way. He measured them up for his old rat 5 so shouldn't be too hard :)

markey b
10-08-2012, 12:33
But won't the centre just spin?

I wish I didn't start now :( tried taking the track rod ends off too. Got half way through and my arms in more pain than before. Should've listened to the doctor! Haha.

shouldn't do, if it does get some big grips as high up the shock shaft as you can to hold it, that way if it does mark the shaft its too high to mess up the seals when compressed