PDA

View Full Version : coolent change guide?

gardner51
09-08-2012, 08:22
I'm going to be giving the 5 a coolent change, but was wondering if theirs a guide on her for bleeding the system after ect?

Cheers. Ellz

Bigfoot
09-08-2012, 08:30
Easy with two people, undo the expansion tank cap, and undo the bleed nipple on the top rad hose, blow into the expansion tank to pressurise it and wait till water comes flowing out of that constantly, screw in bleed screw, then repeat for other bleed nipple. Make sure you keep topping up the water in the expansion tank as a lot will go through the system this way.

gardner51
09-08-2012, 08:41
Cheers Bigfoot, sounds easy lol,

It's ok to pull of a bottom rad and empty it that way yh?

Were is the second bleed screw? Any pics about?

Ellz

Bigfoot
09-08-2012, 08:50
One is on top rad hose, then other is hose which goes from water pump to behind drivers side headlight. which is to the swirl pot. As for removing the water yes removing that hose would get most of the water out, undo the bolt which goes into the side of the block to drain that water out, think it was a 11mm bolt. Sorry no pictures to hand unless search for engine bay pictures which should show it easily

djinuk
09-08-2012, 09:15
Another way of doing it is to unclip the rubber band holding the tank and get a friend to lift it high whilst undoing the bleed screws and wait for a constant flow of water, remember to keep topping up whilst doing it.

As im usually working on my own the way i do this is by making a funnel from a bottle , sticking that on the tank and filling the funnel, this has the same effect as lifting the bottle high and means i can do the job well on my own :)

Trevhib
09-08-2012, 10:40
I found that if I stretched my free arm it was just long enough to open and close the bleed screws whilst blowing into the expansion tank. Twas by far the simplest and quickest way.

LiamR
09-08-2012, 13:49
I found that if I stretched my free arm it was just long enough to open and close the bleed screws whilst blowing into the expansion tank. Twas by far the simplest and quickest way.

This is my preferred method too.

You look a bit of a dick blowing and stretching across the engine bay though so make sure no one sees you :)

gardner51
09-08-2012, 20:44
cheers all, will give this ago tomoro, hopefully all goes well!!

Ellz

Flight666
09-08-2012, 20:52
The best method I have ever used on my 5 for bleeding the system is to use an old expansion cap drill a hole in the top that is a snug fit for the valve from a cycle inner tube,cut off the valve and super glue it in the hole.Fit cap onto expansion tank pump up with a hand pump till top hose feels hard then undoe each bleed screw in turn quick rush of air until the coolant squirts out,takes 30seconds to do and works a treat saves faffing around especially if you are on your own doing the job, and you know its bled properly

gardner51
09-08-2012, 21:41
Don't want to sound stupid here..

I fill up the coolent blow down n open the top rad bleed screw...

Then do the same again with the other side of thermostat, but will coolent still come out or do I have to warm up the car to open the thermostat?

Ellz

markg
09-08-2012, 22:11
Don't want to sound stupid here..

I fill up the coolent blow down n open the top rad bleed screw...

Then do the same again with the other side of thermostat, but will coolent still come out or do I have to warm up the car to open the thermostat?

Ellz

No need to warm the car up to get the stat open. Personally I bleed it, run it up to temperature, let it cool down completely and bleed again just to be sure. Just in case it hasn't been mentioned you don't bleed it with the engine running.