PDA

View Full Version : listening for det

djinuk
08-08-2012, 07:59
Ok , i plan to retune my r5 to around the 20 psi mark, the fueling is no issue ive got to grips with that , but i know now i should be listening for det, i plan to get myself a pair of mechanical headphones jobbys, but its kind of hard to know what im listening for without ever hearing it. I know its been scribed as a marble in the cylinder, but is it really that simple... will i know it when i hear it.

GTphil
08-08-2012, 08:46
It can be very difficult to pick out amongst other engine noise, I use a steth mounted on the cylinder head, routed back into the car with 6mm nylon hard pipe, I can just about pick it up as it starts, hard work tho when your trying to concentrate on the road/afr/boost listening for det whilst going at speed:scared:

For me it sounds like someone crumpling a packet of crisps over the normal engine note.

There was a thread a while back that covered some other forms of listening for det.

GTphil
08-08-2012, 08:48
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=28158&highlight=listening+det

rumpelstiltskin
08-08-2012, 18:49
I've only ever experienced detonation in a car once,it was an old Astra i had.It's quite easy to hear in my opinion over engine noise.It just sounded like a metallic,muffled pinging noise.Only happened in that partricular engine under load.Best way to imagine what the noise is like is if you can imagine a thick,metallic bell being rattled from inside but the outside of the bell is muffled with cushions?That's about as close as i can get!;)