View Full Version : Determine paint code

Chunk
07-08-2012, 17:00
Hi,

I've got a bright red Renault 5 GT Turbo. It's had a respray at some point and the paint is really bright rather than faded, but it's not an amazing respray.

How do I determine the colour code for paint? I need to spray my front bumper.

Presume it's on the VIN plate, which part is it?

markg
07-08-2012, 17:21
How strange just looking at the same thing. Take a look at this link then have a look at the oval plate - http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7487

Mines a pearl white and on the oval plate it does indeed say 168 at the bottom.

Chunk
07-08-2012, 17:34
Ahh perfect, thanks!

Pretty sure mine must be '719 Bright Red', fairly sure I remember seeing '719' on the vin plate last time I looked.

Next question.. are these paints readily available?

markg
07-08-2012, 18:07
Getting the paint shouldn't be a problem. Do a search for a local automotive paint supplier. I think even halfords can mix it for you. My question would be if its had a respray are you sure it was the original colour ?. I would go the local paint supplier and get them to advise.

Chunk
07-08-2012, 18:20
Yeah that's the only area of concern really.

I'm not too fussy, i'd rather have it resprayed the original colour, so if it doesn't match the rest will need to be done (it needs doing anyway really)

I might just get some cans and do the bumper myself for now until I get the whole lot painted

linni
07-08-2012, 22:58
take something off youre car and toddle down to your local paint supplier mate
they'll know what it is and if not they can take a sample and make the same color up for ya :agree:

R5_Danny
07-08-2012, 23:03
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Go to any decent paint supplier and ask them to colour brick it if you don't know the colour. That's the only way to really match it.

Haz
08-08-2012, 01:00
'bright red' ?? As mentioned take a mirror or the likes to a proper paint suppliers so they can colour match it, if it has been painted 'rouge vif' ;) then there's a few shades, red versions and retro looking orangey/browny versions, so there is still a few options to choose from if you plan to paint it. Halfords and the likes are usually celli aerosols and about £15 a can for colour match and won't last long on a front bumper, stone chips etc. a proper paint suppliers will offer much better quality paint, even in cans and cheaper but you'll need 2/3 for a decent finish, plus a couple cans of primer.

Chunk
20-09-2012, 13:54
Cheers for the advice.

I want it painting the same colour as indicated on the VIN plate. Currently it's a really nice bright cherry red, the old paint looks similar (in the engine bay) but obviously faded a bit.

Are you saying there's several shades of the colour indicated on the VIN plate?

Wallace
20-09-2012, 21:31
Cheers for the advice.

I want it painting the same colour as indicated on the VIN plate. Currently it's a really nice bright cherry red, the old paint looks similar (in the engine bay) but obviously faded a bit.

When i had my engine bay sprayed, the bodyshop showed me the different variations of Renault 5 paint codes for 'red' that their computer system listed - there were lots?:scratch:

It would appear that depending on which factory they came out of, would depend on what shade or variation you got?!

I cant confirm that thats fact????

In the end they colour matched mine and it turned out really well..........give the body shop a shout and see what they come up with,failing that, drop me a PM and i'll try and get the exact code of my paint!

Good luck, cause i understand if things dont match completely then it'll look ****e:mad::disagree:

Numptysnumnuts
20-09-2012, 22:13
According to the renault workshop manual the vin plate states the colour of the car. However the vin plate also in its coding will tell you the factory that made it and its type plus where it was sprayed. That's if I have read it correctly. There are around half a dozen different types which by the sounds of things all have different shades even though there are only supposed to be half a dozen standard set colours for a Turbo. Obviously car paint and mixing today is all done via computer and tolerances are tight to ensure there is little or no difference but would imagine that back in the day these were made the tolerances were not so important. Add to that weathering and bleaching fom the sun plus the paintwork care of the previous owners using colour matching t-cut and you can see why your not getting a decent match.

Bear in mind the human eye can recognise 16.8 million colours but what the eye sees as shadows a computer sees as a different paint code.

If I can rip the page out the PDF I will try and post it here.

Haz
20-09-2012, 22:59
Cheers for the advice.

no, one code on the plate but several shades/varients from the paint supplier, one for each time renault used a new vat of paint if you like. most bodyshops will use shade 1 as its usually the most common and will then blend it into other panels. depending on the paint scheme (brand of paint) there can be numerous versions, but they should have a colour chip for each that they can offer up to the car for a match. as mentioned the quality of the match will be dependant on if its actually the correct colour used in the first place and how its stood the test of time but they should be able to get it close.
halfords and the likes generally only offer shade 1 despite offering a colour match and usually is cellulose paint, but i guess you dont have painting gear to use 2pk that a paint supplier would offer.
if you want the correct colour go to the paint supplier direct, you could contact a local bodyshop to see where they get there supplies from. they can also provide you with an aerosol if thats what you prefer. bear in mind that if you use cellulose paint on a front bumper it will be more prone to stone chips as its softer paint ;)

phase i 16 v turbo
21-09-2012, 09:53
I have found even with correct paint codes etc, the new water based paint doesn't always match what is already on the car.