PDA

View Full Version : I HATE MY RENAULT 5 - but I wouldnt change it for the world!

LiamR
05-08-2012, 23:56
A totally unproductive day working on my 5!

I bought an afr AEM uego off of Scoff and fitted it this weekend, got the downpipe drilled and welded etc put the gauge in the car where my boost gauge used to go. All so that I could get my 5 working correctly.

I bought myself 10 litres of new fuel and popped it in and went to start it up. The engine turned over but nothing.....

I checked the fuel supply to the carb and there was none.

Whipped the fuel pump relay off and there was 12v at the red wire, 12 v at the yellow switched when cranking. I bridged the fuel pump relay out and still nothing.

So I took a live feed direct from the battery to the pump - nothing!

Took the fuel pump off and checked the wiring connector - 12v under the car being received but the pump wasnt working. Knackered pump you would think.

Put a live and an earth off the battery and the fuel pump ran!!!:eek:

Connected the fuel pump back up and bridged the fuel pump relay and the sodding pump now works. Put the fuel pump relay back in situ and the pump worked when cranking the engine!!:mad:

So I spent a few hours today messing around with the 5 and achieved nothing!!! Not impressed...

When a fuel pump is on its way out, can it be a bit sporadic in its performance??

Do you need to somehow prime a fuel pump when you refit it?

Where does the feed to the fuel pump come from exactly? obviously its the fuel tank but whereabouts?

And finally, should fuel come out of the fuel pump feed pipe if left disconnected? As mine isnt :confused:

Sorry for the essay and all the questions....

mightymanx
06-08-2012, 00:24
yer if the fuel pump is on its last legs it can work intermitant well mine did before it died any way and i think 1 of the connections on the ecu has something to do with the fuel circuit so id check all them are fitting nice and snug some 1 more in the no will tell you more am sure

Haz
07-08-2012, 00:56
if they've been sat for a while they may want a good power source to get them spinning again, hence working direct from a battery. the oe wiring isnt thick enough for the decent amount of amps it may want. it could be worth adding extra wiring and a relay, using the oe pump live to switch the relay with a decent live direct from the battery/ign etc, well any thick lives behind the dash.
when its on the way out they can be, a few taps with a rubber hammer can also help if its just been sat and a bits sticky.
you cant really prime it before fitting, you could put some fuel in before connecting the lines but makes it a bit messy.
the feed is from the centre outlet on the lift pump, under the back seat, under the round plastic cover.
fuel should only come out of the feed when the pump is sucking, assuming you mean once the fuel has drained out after being disconnected.

LiamR
07-08-2012, 09:00
Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers for answering all my questions Haz- very helpful :) never really had to mess about with the fuel pump before so a bit of a noob when it comes to them. Lol.

I did manage to start the 5 up last night (poorly) and it ran so the pump is back to life. As u mentioned- prob didn't like being sat about.