PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak from bottom of carb

Andyturbo!
05-08-2012, 15:48
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/Andy5turbo/389ebdbb.jpg

Ive just noticed when under the bonnet revving the car fuel leaks from this bit of the carb at the base. I'm a novice with carbs but best way I can describe it is a small spring pulls a bracket open on the bottom of the carb when engine is revved and fuel seeps out. Can anyone shed any light? Sorry for the crap description

Markey Mark (BD)
05-08-2012, 16:07
Sounds like the diaphram has split behind it so will need replacing

BluntyR5GTT
05-08-2012, 16:10
Sounds like the diaphram has split behind it so will need replacing

+1 get yourself a rebuild kit matey, whilst your at it may as well do the lot and give all the jets etc a good blow through

Andyturbo!
05-08-2012, 16:15
Cheers lads is a hard job? I've haven't removed the carb before is there any guides on how to do it?

Kris M
05-08-2012, 16:20
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

As if by magic :D

Andyturbo!
05-08-2012, 16:26
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

As if by magic :D

Haha cheers mate I've just bin looking thro that, looks abit complicated tho lol

Nottswoody
05-08-2012, 16:41
It's very simple really matey I thought it was hard untill I did it myself.. Get a can of carb cleaner clear a very clean space and just take things off in order clean and replace one at a time.. But I MUST STRESS!! Make sure you count all the washers you take off and stuff a bit of cloth in the hole while the carb is off so nothing can get in your engine.. Just take you time..:)

Andyturbo!
05-08-2012, 19:08
It's very simple really matey I thought it was hard untill I did it myself.. Get a can of carb cleaner clear a very clean space and just take things off in order clean and replace one at a time.. But I MUST STRESS!! Make sure you count all the washers you take off and stuff a bit of cloth in the hole while the carb is off so nothing can get in your engine.. Just take you time..:)

Cheers pal boosted my confidence abit that, beta get a kit ordered then

LiamR
05-08-2012, 23:24
I took the pics for the guide after the old ones disappeared.

I had never rebuilt a carb in my life before that one.Its not too hard. Just take your time and do it properly :agree:

I put it all on a tray indoors and did it sequentially. Any probs, post on here. People will help mate:)

Andyturbo!
05-08-2012, 23:54
I took the pics for the guide after the old ones disappeared.

I had never rebuilt a carb in my life before that one.Its not too hard. Just take your time and do it properly :agree:

I put it all on a tray indoors and did it sequentially. Any probs, post on here. People will help mate:)

Cheers mate I'm gona give it a go when I get the kit. Do u get any instructions with the kit?

Nottswoody
06-08-2012, 07:45
Cheers pal boosted my confidence abit that, beta get a kit ordered then

Just take your time an be carefull not to over tighten the screws as I did and crack the carb you won't need all of the kit just replace the obvious and blow out all the jets as mine clogged a couple of times after but it was simply a case of taking the jets out and blowing them again.. Never had any probs since matey..

Nottswoody
06-08-2012, 07:48
Cheers mate I'm gona give it a go when I get the kit. Do u get any instructions with the kit?

You will get instructions but they will blow our mind :) you will see once you start taking it to bits it's really quite simple.. The. Est thing about these 5s are old school mechanics and nice and easy to work on..