PDA

View Full Version : Clio 172 - Heavy vibrations through steering wheel

d6n
31-07-2012, 10:13
A couple of weeks ago I took the car to TCR for them to investigate the ‘loose’ steering feel.

They replaced the track rod arms / ball joints and set the tracking up. The result was a much firmer steering which I was happy with.....

I went round Blyton Park on Saturday in the Clio. The car was great all day.

On the way back about 10 minutes into the journey, the steering wheel was vibration quite heavily when I was above 64mph. Pulled over tightened the bolts, checked for anything obvious...

Anyway after driving 3 hours in the slow lane I was finally home. Yesterday I changed the wheels / tyres to see if it was a tyre balance issue. Still the same so that rules out the tyres.

Could it be a CV joint? Any help would be appreciated.

Brigsy
31-07-2012, 10:34
Driveshaft or wheelbearing by sounds of it

J8TRO
31-07-2012, 10:38
Wheels didnt work then mate?

Are you getting any droning noises? Does it feel like its a particular wheel or side?

d6n
31-07-2012, 11:02
Wheels didnt work then mate?

Are you getting any droning noises? Does it feel like its a particular wheel or side?

Na, wheels didn't work. Car feels better on the F1's one.

no droning noises and no I can't feel which side.

Also, i've ruled out the disc warping too as I can brake fine with no wobbles / vibrations.

When I felt the vibrations through the steering wheel at 64mph plus the vibrating went briefly when I changed lanes. Not sure if that narrows anything down or not.

J8TRO
31-07-2012, 12:31
Na, wheels didn't work. Car feels better on the F1's one.

no droning noises and no I can't feel which side.

Also, i've ruled out the disc warping too as I can brake fine with no wobbles / vibrations.

When I felt the vibrations through the steering wheel at 64mph plus the vibrating went briefly when I changed lanes. Not sure if that narrows anything down or not.

Sounds like a wheel bearing then mate, when your on a decent stretch of road, pull left then pull right and see if it goes when you pull one way and then comes back worse when you pull the other.

Ashy
31-07-2012, 12:56
Be interested in the outcome of this, I had the same problem on my 5 after blyton!

d6n
31-07-2012, 13:39
Sounds like a wheel bearing then mate, when your on a decent stretch of road, pull left then pull right and see if it goes when you pull one way and then comes back worse when you pull the other.

i thought there was a constant whine / droning with a wheel bearing?

J8TRO
31-07-2012, 16:21
I dont know if there are different ways a bearing can go? someone on here may be able to advise.

When they have gone on me in the past, the indication is a slight droning noise which goes when your steer (put load) on a wheel one way, and then gets worse when you go the other way.

When you described that, it inclined me to think it would be the bearing.

Best to try that first as they are cheap........driveshafts...............are not!

d6n
01-08-2012, 09:07
on the way to work this morning I did a sharp left hander and right hander and both times i got one bang / knock.

when i'm stationary and i turn the steering left to right i hear the knocking when i'm turning the steering clockwise.

Fishey
01-08-2012, 09:50
One of the springs hasn't broken has it?

d6n
01-08-2012, 13:52
One of the springs hasn't broken has it?

I haven't checked but I didn't notice anything obvious when I swapped the wheels over.

Just given both of the driveshafts a tug and the passenger side is solid but there is slight play in the drivers side.

5teve L
02-08-2012, 08:59
Jack it up & grab the wheel at the top & bottom, then wiggle, if there is alot of play check it's not the track rod end or ball joint (either loose bolt or knackered) if they are ok it will more than likely be the wheel bearing. Only other thing would be broken suspension top mount/spring..

d6n
24-08-2012, 09:50
passenger ball joint has been replaced, which had got rid of the clunking.

Still have vibrations through the wheel at 70mph+....back to the drawing board.

J8TRO
24-08-2012, 09:53
:crap: Crap........did they check the bearings?

oh........and you out for a few beers later?

d6n
24-08-2012, 10:33
:crap: Crap........did they check the bearings?

oh........and you out for a few beers later?

gonna go and see him in the morning as he said he wanted to show me something!

and he asked when it was lowered...

yeah mate. thirsty already!

J8TRO
24-08-2012, 10:50
Oh right……..sound very mysterious………sure he wants to show you something on the car? :wasntme:

d6n
24-08-2012, 10:52
Oh right……..sound very mysterious………sure he wants to show you something on the car? :wasntme:

something to do with lowering a car correctly.....

J8TRO
24-08-2012, 15:08
You can tell him to go and get bent.......i've lowered plenty of cars and take more time and care than most garages ........so let him pick fault.

A car developing a heavy judder above 70mph after a total hammering on track has nothing to do with me lowering it 2 years ago!

d6n
24-08-2012, 15:46
You can tell him to go and get bent.......i've lowered plenty of cars and take more time and care than most garages ........so let him pick fault.

A car developing a heavy judder above 70mph after a total hammering on track has nothing to do with me lowering it 2 years ago!

yeah well if it is anything to do with the lowering you can sort it out...i'll post you the invoice!

J8TRO
24-08-2012, 15:49
Really................well i'll post your head up your arse!:rant: