PDA

View Full Version : Wiring fault??

Mattr5uk
25-07-2012, 12:55
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction with my raider.
I have a problem with my battery constantly being drained as the clock light is staying on & i also have permant feed to the heater blower switch with the ignition off. i ve checked the ignition switch & have constant feed to the yellow female 2 pin plug which the switch goes to on one pin. Before i continue to strip the rest of the dash any ideas?
Thanks
Matt

Brigsy
25-07-2012, 14:00
Is the ign switch broke?

Mattr5uk
25-07-2012, 14:47

ive tried another switch same problem. Even with both connectors from ignition switch disconnected still have constant feed to clock light & fan blower switch.
So its getting a feed from somewhere??

GT Josh
25-07-2012, 14:53
I had a problem with my rear lights sticking on constantly, checked everything with no avail. So in the end my mate Haz took my dash out and there was all sorts of untidy bare live wires the lot. Repaired lives and insulated, then removed all crap not needed. Power back on and presto lights were back to normal.

DaveMayGTT
26-07-2012, 09:25
I had same problem with heater fan staying on after ignition off. Haven't touched the dash or looked at the problem at all, took the engine out for engine bay respray, tidied the wiring under there and now it doesn't happen any more. No idea why.

Sorry that wasn't really a lot of help.

Haz
27-07-2012, 00:26
doesnt sound like a common fault so just take the dash out so the loom can be checked properly, could be part of the loom you cant see by taking things like the ashtray out. one of the problems with josh's was that a hole had been drilled for a vac pipe, and managed to go into the loom too.
many gtt's have had things added and removed along the way, gauges, switches, alarms, immobilisers etc etc.

Mattr5uk
27-07-2012, 22:26

Dash out no obvious signs of damage to wiring so going to remove alarm and anything else that's not standard an go from there. Got to say the 5s a car I absolutely love to hate :)

Phoenix Autosport
27-07-2012, 22:54
sounds like the permanent and ignition switched lives have been joined together, in order of likeliness try checking these
1) stereo wiring, has someone joined the switched live to the memory backup live by mistake.
2) remove and check your clock / associated wiring as this is where the fault is manifesting itself.
3) ignition switch, unplug and check connections work as they should using a multimeter.
4) fuse box, anything come adrift there ?
5) any aftermarket add-on's especialy anything that uses both lives like an alarm or a device requiring memory backup.

Mattr5uk
04-08-2012, 18:40

Fixed!! Was down to the stereo wiring being joined further back down the line. A little dissapointed I didn't find it easier but sorted none the least. Thanks for help chaps now to restore the rest of the raiders interior back to original :)