PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the Gear Selector Bar to the Gearbox

Big Steve - Raider
24-07-2012, 22:44
Does anyone have the right technique they would care to share with me on the best way to set up the gear selector bar linkage to the gearbox?? :scratch:

I've fitted a new selector bar to the Cup as the old one was bent & knocking on the exhaust. Trouble is now I've fitted it I seem to be only capable of getting gears 1 - 4 and not reverse & fifth :crap:

Any quick methods would be welcome :niceone:

Brigsy
24-07-2012, 22:55
Will the box go into reverse when the selector arm is moved? Do that then move gearstick in reverse position.

If you cant get reverse or 5th there could be a fault in the final drive part of the box, whip the end cover off and see whats going on.

Kris M
24-07-2012, 22:57
Jon, i think Steves just fitted one of those short throw arms to the 11T box, if that makes any odds ??

Bigfoot
24-07-2012, 22:58
You put the spacer back in gearbox end?

Big Steve - Raider
24-07-2012, 23:03
You put the spacer back in gearbox end?

Spacer?? :scratch:

Bigfoot
24-07-2012, 23:06
Where the selector bar from gear stick connects up to gearbox end there is a thin tube which goes between it to stop it being squashed. Forgot to put that in and couldn't set up for reverse and 5th

Spooky
24-07-2012, 23:07
I would probably leave the gear stick end loose enough so that after you've selected reverse at the gearbox end, it would be somewhere close if that makes sense.

Yea theres a spacer/sleeve where the selector attaches to the box, you know that, don't you? :D

Kris M
24-07-2012, 23:09
the spacer, Its knurled on the outside aint it ?

Spooky
24-07-2012, 23:09
Where the selector bar from gear stick connects up to gearbox end there is a thin tube which goes between it to stop it being squashed. Forgot to put that in and couldn't set up for reverse and 5th

I've done this, usually think Dale talks **** but he has a point :cooter:

Bigfoot
24-07-2012, 23:11
I've done this, usually think Dale talks **** but he has a point :cooter:

:coffee:

Thats the one Kris

Big Steve - Raider
25-07-2012, 00:08
Ah, yes the spacer is present and correct! ;)

So it seems that the best option is to put it into reverse manually at the gearbox end, and then move the gearstick to the correct position to suit what the gearbox is saying?? :scratch:

Brigsy
25-07-2012, 08:36
If you have fitted a quickshift pin to the box, the selector rod/ arm will require some grinder action or you cant get some gears.

Big Steve - Raider
25-07-2012, 08:53
If you have fitted a quickshift pin to the box, the selector rod/ arm will require some grinder action or you cant get some gears.

Ahhh! Good Man Mr Briggs!! Where is the deft application of "grinder' needed?? I can only think that it would be one of the edges of the clamp that the bolt goes thru may be fouling on the gearbox somewhere? Am I right??

Brigsy
25-07-2012, 09:00
I had to fully grind the 'lip' off the alloy selector arm where the rubber dust boot fits on, grind it until its flush with the arm. You will need to grind the side of the selector rod where the bolt goes through flat. Its easy though mate will take you ten mins tops. Ill try and get some pics of mine for you later.