PDA

View Full Version : help with my wiring loom and a few minor electrical issues! m.o.t saturday!

r5_scotty
24-07-2012, 21:38
having trouble with 3 left over cables? i have no idea where they go? its a new loom.

1 has x2 purple cables
the other has a red and a purble cable
and the last has a black and purple cable

check my photos please.

my other issue is my oil light is on the dash? but the engine is topped up full ? any ideas?
same with my water temp gauge,the light is on yet its defently not overheating and the water is topped up to the max?

im colour blind so electricals aint great for me lol so need as much help as possible!

if anyone can help i would be well chuffed as my five is booked in for its m.o.t saturday.

cheers :D:agree:

chezzer85
24-07-2012, 21:49
I would have said wires in the first two pic's are for oil level (oil warning light), and oil pressure not sure which way round though and the third looks like its for the anti-perc fan.

chezzer85
24-07-2012, 21:52
Sorry think wires in the sound pic are for the temp sensor for anti perc fan (on heat sheild, this then piggys back to the sensor at carb base). the first pic must be for oil warning light then (in the sump)

r5_scotty
24-07-2012, 21:57
nice one will try this in the morning! this would explain alot lol :p if anyone can get a picture up to show me this would be great!

Haz
24-07-2012, 22:35
The oil wires wouldn't pull up that high if some of the loom is fitted. I recon they are for
1st turbo heat shield temp sensor
2nd carb base temp sensor
3rd perc fan valve if 3 pin/ perc fan if 2 pin

If you don't have a perc fan they all aren't needed.

Sounds like you have the water temp wires the wrong way round, and oil pressure/oil level mixed up

Kris M
24-07-2012, 22:52
^^^^^^ :agree:

r5_scotty
25-07-2012, 06:26
nice one haz :agree:gona have a fiddle today and will get back to this. but the wires that are left will not reach the carb base. there a long way off.

chezzer85
25-07-2012, 17:48
The oil wires wouldn't pull up that high if some of the loom is fitted. I recon they are for
1st turbo heat shield temp sensor
2nd carb base temp sensor
3rd perc fan valve if 3 pin/ perc fan if 2 pin

If you don't have a perc fan they all aren't needed.

Sounds like you have the water temp wires the wrong way round, and oil pressure/oil level mixed up

:agree: except i was just working on my five, and i have it now! The 2nd is for the anti boost sensor (on the short boost pipe)

r5_scotty
25-07-2012, 18:35
think its time to scrap the five!:mad: gettin the hump with the wiring. it just aint happening! i still have lights up on the dash! no idea why at all! anyone got any other ideas? its gotta be simple surely

GT Josh
25-07-2012, 19:30
Check all fuses?? Just a thought... Not a bright spark on wiring either. Pardon the pun.

r5_scotty
25-07-2012, 21:44
Check all fuses?? Just a thought... Not a bright spark on wiring either. Pardon the pun.

done that buddy. :). cheers tho. bloody pain. checked over the loom so many times. just cant work out why the lights are on ,on the dash :confused:

will take a picture tomorrow to show everyone.

could it be an earthing problem?

Haz
26-07-2012, 00:37
:agree: except i was just working on my five, and i have it now! The 2nd is for the anti boost sensor (on the short boost pipe)

the over boost wires have 90 degree connectors, and are part of the loom that comes through the bulkhead by the heater fan, battery live, aei, wipers etc.
tbh, i still think the wires are what i said, just you may have routed them differently. if you remove that loom it'll be easier, as the pics dont really give much away as a couple of inches of wires that are different than std colours is just guessing really.
to add, the oil gauge wiring is on a different loom than the water temp.
you have tried swapping the green and orange water temp wires round on the sensor? and same with the brown and orange for the oil pressure?
although the back lights are on, which means they are earthing out, do the gauges work as they should?

chezzer85
26-07-2012, 08:56
Haz you might be right the electrics where a right mess on my five when i got it, however i have replaced the loom using this guide: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4793

Unless this is wrong, which would make sense as my anti perc fan does work anymore.

Haz
27-07-2012, 00:00
cant see how that article helps people, maybe adapt a new version to fit??
been a while since i worked on a 5 with a perc fan but should have its own fuse and relay taking power from the alt. the relay is triggered by by the sensors in the carb base/turbo heatsheild. think the valve is triggered by these also?

r5_scotty
27-07-2012, 06:30
iv checked over the loom thread .still cant get this sorted? i tried switchin the orange and brown wires around with no success:crap: im now puting it down to needing new clocks as the car runs spot on and thr rad fan kicks in as it should. bloody annoying.
so if anyone has a good sett of clocks please get intouch.

cheers for everyones help:agree: need people like you lot.