PDA

View Full Version : first problem so far

cook1981
23-07-2012, 16:29
Hi folks I've had my first small problem with my 5 I think it may be electrical has any one any suggestions, today I started the journey from Edinburgh to Aberdeen and back,I got to Aberdeen and half way back to Edinburgh which is roughly 210miles then pulled into a garage and topped up the petrol tank, after paying for the petrol I jumped back into the car turned the key and nothing, all the dash lights were working but no starter when I turned the key, I checked all the leads making sure the weren't damp as it had been raining heavily but still nothing so I reluctantly called the AA and started to wait for them, getting bored waiting after 10 minutes I decided to try the car again and it starts first time so called them back and drove the rest of the way home about 60 miles with no problems, so I suppose the question is what do use think the problem was

Mart
23-07-2012, 16:43
White wire connection to starter motor solenoid (check the connector block of doom by the near-side headlight, and also where it plugs onto the solenoid).

Main 12v feed from the alternator to battery (it 'junctions' on the motor supply terminal).

Or the starter motor/solenoid is simply on its way out - Fairly common issue on GTT's, made worse if you haven't got the motor heatshield in situ, and worse again if you've got the 'Laguna' motor fitted.

cook1981
23-07-2012, 16:46
White wire connection to starter motor solenoid (check the connector block of doom by the near-side headlight, and also where it plugs onto the solenoid).

Main 12v feed from the alternator to battery (it 'junctions' on the motor supply terminal).

Or the starter motor/solenoid is simply on its way out - Fairly common issue on GTT's, made worse if you haven't got the motor heatshield in situ, and worse again if you've got the 'Laguna' motor fitted.

Thanks I'll have a good look when the rain stops

Logg
23-07-2012, 16:47
I was having this issue for the last few years changed the starter 3-4 times each time it would be fine for a few months.

In the end I found the solution was to to cut the starter solenoid wire out of the connector under the header tank and just connected it with some bullet connectors. touch wood my cars started every time since I did this.

cook1981
23-07-2012, 19:18
I've been driving it tonight again with no problems but would like to fix it before I get stranded some where so will just work through all the suggestions I'll start with the cheapest options first, I'll change the connections for the bullet type do as to rule this out aswell thanks

Tony Walker
23-07-2012, 22:42
mine did the same for awhile and got gradually worse, replaced trigger wire and connector and removed stripped and checked starter, im pretty certain the starter relay was at fault but rather than repair this i just fitted my own relay with a push button start. Starts perfect, better than ever, everytime.

Chunk
24-07-2012, 11:37
If you've still got the black plastic connector on the end of your white wire leading to the starter, you might want to change this for a nice new spade connector as they're all fairly loose and corroded by now.

Get a nice new connector on and cover it in copper grease to prevent corrosion and see how you get on then.

Easy to get to from underneath.

Brigsy
24-07-2012, 11:51
mine did the same for awhile and got gradually worse, replaced trigger wire and connector and removed stripped and checked starter, im pretty certain the starter relay was at fault but rather than repair this i just fitted my own relay with a push button start. Starts perfect, better than ever, everytime.

There is no starter relay;)

The problem is most likely knackered wiring. When the starter is hot resistance is higher so you need a good 12v+ at the starter solenoid. To cure this you need to fit a 4 pin relay using the original starter wire to trigger it.

Junglist
31-08-2012, 00:03
There is no starter relay;)

The problem is most likely knackered wiring. When the starter is hot resistance is higher so you need a good 12v+ at the starter solenoid. To cure this you need to fit a 4 pin relay using the original starter wire to trigger it.

ive got same prob, car wont start when hot.
what type of relay ? how would i wire it up ?

Tony Walker
31-08-2012, 08:00
well if you didnt want you use a push button you could use the original trigger wire an run new earth for the trigger side, then a good new positive wire from battery +ve to the relay then to the starter solenoid.
I think its the ignition switches that get dodgy over time along with a few dodgy connections.