PDA

View Full Version : carbon bonnet for GTT

markey b
18-07-2012, 09:30
does anyone still make these? can't seem to find anything, even on gay-tec?!

SirSamuelOfBuca
18-07-2012, 10:08
mate just sold ktec one on ebay £400 quid :s

think its a case of wait to find one on ebay mate :/

Brigsy
18-07-2012, 10:26
They fit crap mate save your money:)

Os8472
18-07-2012, 10:30
They fit crap mate save your money:)

:agree: just look how bad mine fits

markey b
18-07-2012, 10:50
i can deal with the fit, want something a bit lighter than my 2 tonne one

TNT!hammond
18-07-2012, 11:07
Mark! take a slip disc to yours and remove all the inner skin, then the hinges and mounts and the bonnet catch, 4 lightweight bonnet pins and you are probably as light if not lighter than the carbon one as mine wasn't that light before I played with it ;)

mk5gtt
20-07-2012, 22:27
You dont want a ktec one there not that light and are fiberglass with a carbon layer on top i cut sum vents out of mine and found this out not happy as for the price you would think it would be carbon.

TNT ANDY
20-07-2012, 22:38
Mark! take a slip disc to yours and remove all the inner skin, then the hinges and mounts and the bonnet catch, 4 lightweight bonnet pins and you are probably as light if not lighter than the carbon one as mine wasn't that light before I played with it ;)

It's just like having a tinfoil bonnet:cooter:

Harri
21-07-2012, 07:47
I dont know the details of ktec hood but weight gain of using glass fiber between carbon is often over exaggerated. This is mainly because it's believed that they use cheap chopped strand glass fiber which do increase the weight a lot. This is the type used with boat industry and too often with aftermarket body kits for example.

But this usually is not the case with carbon parts. They propably have plain or twill woven type glass in there which is used in the carbon skins as well but just in glass fiber. For same thickness you get about 150g/m2 more weight per layer, the resin comsumption is the same.

I did my hood which had originally only outer skin with 4 layers of fibers, 2 of them being carbon and two of them being glass because of the cost savings. Total weight of the hood was 2,08 kg. After doing inner structure I guess Im close to 3kg. Original weight is 11kg if I remember correctly. Hood is roughly 1,3m2 so by changing to carbon in the middle sections I would have saved 400g but also increased the cost by 75€ roughly.

djinuk
21-07-2012, 11:27
the fits terrible mark.. on every single one ive seen, they often are warped in teh centre and bow outwards, or they over hang one light.. id avoid personally. Had one myself and sold it rapidly.

newbstar*
21-07-2012, 13:03
Ktec bonnets are light but poor fit compared to oe. Personally my one was ok, i agree with the statement on price and being fully carbon. My one is for sale but i have to clean it up first.