PDA

View Full Version : Sealant needed with new water pump and gasket?

s3irios
17-07-2012, 16:45
Well basically the title says it all. Found a major coolant leak from the water pump pulley, so i just ordered a new one from cgb-ebay, I also asked cgb in an email and they said if the head and back piece of water pump is fine u don't ned to put any sealant along.
The question is, maybe i should put, JUST in case so i don't need to pull it out again later?

Also do i have to care anything while replacing water pump, i.e. put some oil on inside side of pulley or something? Or just snap it on?
Ty

James5
17-07-2012, 17:09
Well basically the title says it all. Found a major coolant leak from the water pump pulley, so i just ordered a new one from cgb-ebay, I also asked cgb in an email and they said if the head and back piece of water pump is fine u don't ned to put any sealant along.
The question is, maybe i should put, JUST in case so i don't need to pull it out again later?

Also do i have to care anything while replacing water pump, i.e. put some oil on inside side of pulley or something? Or just snap it on?
Ty

make sure you use a genuine Renault gasket or decent OEM equivalent and you won't need any sealant at all, just be careful when taking out and doing up the bolts as they tend to break or snap of in the head

LiamR
17-07-2012, 21:12
Recently I put a new water pump on and I used a decent gasket plus a liberal smearing of gasket sealant as I didn't want to be doing it all again.

I can't see any harm in doing it.

michael tierney
17-07-2012, 21:12
you could put some anti-seize grease/compound on the new bolts!!:)

s3irios
18-07-2012, 00:15
ty for answers fellas. I already read many nightmare stories about the water pump bolts. Hope mine will be ok :scared:
When i receive the new pump with gasket and see how the old stuff is will decide on putting sealant or not. But to be honest i'm leaning towards putting a film just in case!:)

Nottswoody
18-07-2012, 00:21
I didn't I just re tapped the holes for good measure made sure all the old gasket was off USE new m6 bolts and bobs your aunts uncle.. Never leaked.. Something you need todo right first time because if you need to take it off again the gaskets mullured.. Think seven m6 bolts (I went with stainless)