PDA

View Full Version : Removing heater fan

Chunk
16-07-2012, 08:05
How do you remove the heater fan from the scuttle?

Mine is squealing and needs replacing, I removed the grille but couldn't see how the fan unit comes out

Also, has anyone tried replacing it with an aftermarket 12v fan?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
16-07-2012, 08:06
Pull it hard.
A drop of oil in the bearings helps stop the squeal.

Chunk
16-07-2012, 08:08
Oh as simple as that?

I tried pulling on the centre of the fan blade but it didn't seem to shift

Does oil actually work? Can they be pulled apart so I can grease everything up?

Thanks for your help :)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
16-07-2012, 08:12
If its the original fan, it's probably been on the car about 20 + years.... So may be a bit difficult to shift.
Could always ask someone like mike at gtt spares for a good one.

Chunk
16-07-2012, 08:18
It's more than likely the original. The plastic fan cover was loose and missing some nuts so someone's probably had a half arsed attempt at it before.

I'll have another go next time I'm down the unit, give it a harder pull this time!

I don't think i'll bother with a replacement from another 5, i'll probably look at sourcing another fan of the same dimensions and make it fit

Chunk
30-07-2012, 16:30
Right, managed to get the fan out. Wasn't as bad as I thought, just got some hooks under the centre of the fan and pulled it out nice and easy. Popped out in the end.

I had a big bucket full of engine/gearbox oil that I'd drained out the engine so I literally just chucked the whole thing in there and left it for a while.

Pulled it out and wiped the oil off, treated the contacts and dropped it back in the car and now it sounds brand new. Result!

Thanks for the help.