PDA

View Full Version : top end rattle after rebuild...help!

markey b
14-07-2012, 01:40
my 5 has a horrendous top end rattle after rebuild, starts and runs but makes a knocking from the top end.

i replaced head with a standard one and fitted my valves and springs, replaced a liner on cyl 4 so only took sump off. retorqued head and there was a knock, so swapped my old rocker shaft back onto it and checked valve clearances, still knocking, did screwdriver to ear and its coming from the top of the engine, so took out pushrods one by one and all perfectly straight, did clearances again and still knocks.

only thing i found is that one of my pushrods seems to lift up the follower with it, and makes a similar knocking noise if you tap it on the camshaft...

its definately friday the 13th :(

has anyone else had similar problems? i'm running a 285 cam by the way, same followers as before it cracked a liner, and had no rattle before, but does now

any suggestions i'm outta ideas

thanks rtoc :)

Os8472
14-07-2012, 05:36
Did u fill the shaft with oil before fitting?

Is the oil way through the head into the shaft clear?

Broken shaft mount?

What did u do the valve clearances to?

Are u using uprated valve springs?

Finally a 285 then :)

markey b
14-07-2012, 16:54
1. no never have
2. yes heads it getting oil
3. nope replaced one
4. 0.20 and 0.25 and also all at 0.20
5. yes piper springs
6. 285 has been in there ages :)

Dave Reed
14-07-2012, 19:37
Valve seats relieved in new head?

markey b
14-07-2012, 20:08
Valve seats relieved in new head?

What u mean by that fella? It's a good used head, nnot a brand new one if that makes sense, used my valves and lapped them in and fitted my shortened springs

Tony Walker
14-07-2012, 20:54
how knocky? a washer had found its way in to my engine and sounded pretty nice :D turn the engine over by hand to feel if it wedges a bit on a foriegn object. Mine still ran perfectly fine just sounded tappy on one cyclinder :(

markey b
14-07-2012, 23:48
how knocky? a washer had found its way in to my engine and sounded pretty nice :D turn the engine over by hand to feel if it wedges a bit on a foriegn object. Mine still ran perfectly fine just sounded tappy on one cyclinder :(

Turns over nicely, runs nicely too just makes a knock :-(
Searched every post last night with the keyword rattle so will get it in the air and see if anything is vibrating eg. Exhaust or screamer pipe etc

Scoff
15-07-2012, 00:19
When you swapped the broken liner did you check the other 3 pistons for damage ?

Dave Reed
15-07-2012, 00:22
What u mean by that fella? It's a good used head, nnot a brand new one if that makes sense, used my valves and lapped them in and fitted my shortened springs

If its not then the valve springs may be binding up, it's just something I've always had done to my heads, always used piper springs that match the cam too, but I guess if your springs are shortened the this has the same effect as relieving the seats..

Not piston rattle is it? May have a damaged ring? Or failing that you sure it's not from the bottom end? Ie you put the bearing back in the correct way..

Failing that nottaway (think thats his user name) he had a bad knocking turned out a washer was in one of the cylinders check out his thread, 5 down due to knocking.

Dave Reed
15-07-2012, 00:24
This thread

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27791

romain-gtt
15-07-2012, 12:47
i heard that with a 285 cams you should fit Cat cams springs because piper cams are not strong enought .

Maybe your piper springs are to much compressed

hope you understand me !!!!!

dangerous dave
15-07-2012, 13:25
I heard of a cam pulley falling off lately, might be worth adding to the list of things to listening out for...:)

Tony Walker
15-07-2012, 19:58
something fallen down where the followers are? or overtightend rocker cover and the rockers are touching it.

markey b
15-07-2012, 20:17
something fallen down where the followers are? or overtightend rocker cover and the rockers are touching it.

my rocker cover was very tight... i think (hope) u have fixed it for me! lol

markey b
17-07-2012, 23:55
wasnt the rocker cover... engine apart again... going to strip all the pistons out and check them all, rather than just the one i thought i damaged.

sounds bottom endy although was fine before the liner... watch this space i guess :eek:

Tony Walker
18-07-2012, 08:14
good luck :agree:

r5 rich
18-07-2012, 09:57
wasnt the rocker cover... engine apart again... going to strip all the pistons out and check them all, rather than just the one i thought i damaged.

sounds bottom endy although was fine before the liner... watch this space i guess :eek:

you still sure you don`t want to sell it cheaper now:wasntme: haha

markey b
18-07-2012, 10:06
you still sure you don`t want to sell it cheaper now:wasntme: haha

yea £6499 lol

markey b
20-07-2012, 00:18
complete bottom end checked out, stripped down to nothing, shells all perfect, pistons all removed and inspected, cleaned and refitted, rings all ok, liners all ok.. hopefully will be ok once refitted in the car

Os8472
20-07-2012, 10:46
You sure everything is tightened up properly this time?

markey b
20-07-2012, 12:48
You sure everything is tightened up properly this time?

it was before... hopefully get cam dialed in this eve and back together asap

sega
20-07-2012, 13:28
You're chain tensioner still working the way it should? Iff its in compressed state the engine also rattles. Forgot to decompress it ones.:sad2:

markey b
20-07-2012, 13:30
You're chain tensioner still working the way it should? Iff its in compressed state the engine also rattles. Forgot to decompress it ones.:sad2:

yea i also didn't touch it initially, its apart now though :laugh:

going to check the followers this eve maybe one is worn?

Os8472
20-07-2012, 15:47
:cry:
yea i also didn't touch it initially, its apart now though :laugh:

going to check the followers this eve maybe one is worn?

Did you do the normal procedure with the tensioner of testing and watching the spring fly across the other side of the garage and spend the next 30 mins trying to find it? :)

markey b
31-07-2012, 12:52
its fixed! no idea what was wrong but all is good again with the ginger assassin :agree: