PDA

View Full Version : Green wire in engine wiring loom

Chunk
10-07-2012, 16:44
I've recently ripped my 5 apart and removed the knackered engine.

The loom I took off was a right mess. I got a spare loom with the new engine I bought which looks more complete so i'll fix that up and use that instead.

I've compared the looms and they have their differences, but most of it is straight forward. The only bit I can't fathom out is that in the old loom there's a single green wire in the trunking with emerges (or did emerge) around the alternator area. It's got a black plastic connector on the end which looks like it fits on a spade terminal.

It was taped up, so wasn't being used by anything, but the same green wire also exists in the loom going into the body.

Any ideas what this is? The new loom doesn't have any green wires at all.

chezzer85
10-07-2012, 19:10
Green wire goes to one side of the rad fan temp switch. Where you running a on dash switch for the fan?

Chunk
11-07-2012, 09:20
There isn't any switch inside that I know of although there may have been previously

The wire wasn't connected to anything although my radiator fan did work.

DaveMayGTT
11-07-2012, 10:44
My green wire isn't connected and fan also kicks in as should. Think someone said to me a feed is often taken from alternator after green wire gets old and breaks down and so green wire is no longer needed but that may be wrong.

Main thing is fan works so I have just tucked it safely away.

Chunk
11-07-2012, 11:56
Strange, well as it wasn't actually connected I won't worry too much about it!

Mart
11-07-2012, 22:59
It's an unused wire. Most, if not all, GTT's have it.

Chunk
12-07-2012, 08:13
Great, thanks, won't worry about it then

Can anyone confirm how many relays there should be in the engine loom? I only have one which sits on the drivers side of the engine bay and according to the haynes appears to be for the radiator fan

Although my old loom didn't have any at all yet the fan still worked, bizarre

Mart
12-07-2012, 08:59
1 for the rad-fan, 1 for the fog-lights, 1 for the perc-fan, 1 up by the aei.

Chunk
13-07-2012, 13:47
Great, thanks.